• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

COACHING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Coaching
A lot of people seem to have all things connected trifles. pistols and the whole smokey world of those things confused with masculinity. This is. of course. ridiculous but there it is.
So if you see someone struggling with his new smudge creating smoke pole do not come at them as though you are Daniel Boone because many cases he will interpret your approach as an attack on his manhood and will proceed to shut his mind to all that jabber about proper loads. shooting patches etc.
The Good Book tells us that lying is bad but sometimes it's handy even if you're not married.Make your approach in a way that doesn't imply superiority. Just say someth
ing like. "I had that same problem and it was driving me nuts til I got some help"..
This could be an outright lie but it tells the newbie that you are no smarter than he is and are therefore not a threat to his manhood or machismo.
I came close to getting shot until I learned to take this kinder. gentler approach. As a result you may gain a friend or at least help get someone off on the right road.

Another problem is with the newbie who expects his muzzleloader to be almost zeroed in out of the box like the .22 he got on graduating high school.
I mentioned to a newbie that he would have to do some bench shooting to get his rifle before hunting.
He refused to do so. "I'm going hunting with this rifle and won't be doing any bench shooting."
I couldn't sway him from his logic. ill founded as it was.
Dutch

Offer help if it is asked for is my approach. Sometimes a new shooter might know what to do, but has to experience things first to get a better grip on his knowledge. There's nothing worse than the old salt who insults the newbie with knowledge accompanied with the arrogance of expectation on the part of the novice.

Yes, someone obviously struggling offer help. If they refuse then it's on them. If they accept, then all is good.

I'm not new to shooting m/ls, been shooting off and on for over 40 years and don't shoot that often. I'm also not an expert due to not shooting that often. Therefore, that's why I joined this forum....to learn from the experts. But, along the way if I can give a little piece of advice or info to help someone new to the sport, well that's also what I'm here for....to give and receive.

Coaching

I couldn't sway him from his logic. ill founded as it was.
Dutch
I really think it depends on WHO you are coaching. The wife, that is a maybe,😂 the grumbling neighbor, no:doh:. Your grandson, be the grandfather and show him like you would have liked to be coached!
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

I feel the same way. My R/P club runs an NRA program "Women On Target". We close the range for members so we, the instructors, have the day to show the ladies how to handle all types of firearms. Centrefire rifles, pistols, shotgun and , of course muzzle loading rifles. Another instructor and I show the women how to load and fire the front stuffers. The smile on their face after they touch off a shot tells me that they found the experience most favorable.

I'd rather coach a woman! They listen to and apply everything you tell them whereas a man....well...he already knows he's Dan'l Boone and doesn't need help! I don't suffer fools lightly!

We have a bit of politics going on this year, you may have heard.
Some folks won’t debate issues, they go to name calling.
But, if you do have a meeting of minds you may find that some one voices an opinion that makes you stop and think. You don’t change your view when you hear something, but if your honest with your self you may change your view in weeks, months or years to come.
When your shooting it’s the same. You want to do it this way, and you don’t want to change. But as time goes by you think why don’t I try such.
I’m Daniel Boone’s rightful descendent shooting this gun by God. I don’t need to try x. But you’ve planted a seed. And the seed may flower, it may die. But you can plant the seed.
That’s all any one can do.
‘I’ve been doing this for many years and this is what I find works best’

Find most youngsters and women who have not shot much if at all are the most receptive to any coaching and typically learn very fast.

In general, have pretty much learned to keep my mouth shut, unless something dangerous is being done or assistance is requested.

Love the ‘you’ve got to be crazy’ looks I get with a tight group of 58 caliber holes at 100 yards from an iron sighted flintlock in one of those ‘shoot and see” or ‘dirty bird’ type targets, or ringing steel at 300 yards with paperpatched bullets out of a caplock. Just isn’t supposed to possible to do. Occasionally, I get asked a question or two.

Back