Clubs in VA, preferably NOVA area

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by sharps54, Jun 5, 2011.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 5, 2011 #1

sharps54

sharps54

sharps54

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Hi,

I have decided life is too short and it's time to start shooting again! Are there any clubs in the northern Virginia area or within a couple hour drive? I'm thinking the edges I would want to drive would be West Point, Charlottesville, and Winchester. Wood walks would be a plus as is a club that won't snub me because of my T/C or Pedersoli smokepoles. While I'm willing to put together "period correct" kit if needed I'm more interested in shooting and socializing than re-enacting. The wife isn't interested at all but I'm hoping to get my 15 year old son hooked.

Thanks in advance!

Edit to add: I'd also be interested in hearing of local ranges (or maybe Izaak Walton Leagues) with some like minded shooters even if they don't have an organized club.

2. Jun 6, 2011 #2

sharps54

sharps54

sharps54

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Whoops, too late to edit my post but I should say that yes I have looked online but am interested in hearing from those with personal experience at the clubs / ranges.

3. Apr 12, 2019 at 1:40 AM #3

B. Buck

B. Buck

B. Buck

Pilgrim

Not sure what your Pedersoli rifle is, but if you are interested in Civil War type arms you should check out the N-SSA near Winchester, VA. Check out the N-SSA website. You don't have to be a member to come out and watch. Check out the calender and come to one of the shoots. I have 2 boys 14 and 16 who are very good shooters.

4. Apr 12, 2019 at 2:40 AM #4

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

You might try looking up Shenandoah Longrifles - they are over in the northern valley. I camped with they several times some years ago & heard that they have found a new range/campsite.

5. Apr 16, 2019 at 7:10 PM #5

D. Buck Stopshere

D. Buck Stopshere

D. Buck Stopshere

36 Cal.

Check out the Charter Club Directory of the NMLRA. I believe VA has six total.

In addition, Fort Frederick State Park near Big Pool MD, hosts its 18th century Marketfair on April 25-28. Thousands of 18th century enthusiasts and dozens of sutlers, including well-known gunmakers will be in attendance there.