Clothing for 1840-1859

Discussion in 'The Plains' started by superscifi12, Oct 20, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 20, 2018 #1

superscifi12

superscifi12

superscifi12

32 Cal.

Looking for some websites that have some different clothing styles for this time period, vendors also appreciated. Also looking for a container for lunch and a canteen/tin cup? (they say metal cup but I'm not sure if they would just carry a cup around all day without a canteen?)

As persona not sure as it is for one of my sons field trips, they are going to a farm to see how people lived in this time period and want to be more period correct then blue jeans and a button up shirt.

2. Oct 20, 2018 #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

It depends a lot on 1) how you want to look and 2 how much you want to spend. Crazy crow or jedidiah star can get you a pair of drop front trouser and shirt roughly of the time. Townsend’s can narrow your time a bit. How ever one of the weird sides of our sport is a tendency to stop about 1840 and pick up again about 1860. Styles changed.
    jardagans does sell some civilian kit items, but pricey.
    Round canteens in tin were seen by this time having been stamped out during the Mexican war. However canteens were mostly military at this time . A civilian in the east had plenty of creeks and springs to use, that for health reasons we may not want to dip into today.
    In the west few were ever far from a horse, and water could be carried in bags on the horse or barrels in the wagon. So a cup on your belt would not have demanded a canteen
    Today many of us civilians carry a period military style canteen. Lots of civil war sites sell the one to one and a half qt round tin canteens of this time frame. The long narrow tin d and kidney shaped one qt canteens had fallen out of style by then
    Food would be carried in a haversack. A squar bag on a strap hung over the shoulder opposite your shooting bag. The style of these didn’t change much over the years. Knapsacks in military style too can be gotten via civil war vendors.
    Civilians again might not have military gear and a hunk of bread or jerky might just be stuffed in you coat pocket. Again a kit might be on your horse or wagon. Today many of us carry a haversack on an outing.

3. Oct 21, 2018 #3

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon MLF Supporter

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  4. Dec 12, 2018 #4

crankshaft

crankshaft

crankshaft

40 Cal

Wild rag. If you 're a cowboy, western plainsman, you need one. 36x36" is the standard size. Not those little hankes seen in the movies.

5. Aug 1, 2019 #5

tom berwinkle

tom berwinkle

tom berwinkle

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I have if your interested the following

6. Aug 1, 2019 #6

tom berwinkle

tom berwinkle

tom berwinkle

40 Cal MLF Supporter

7. Aug 2, 2019 #7

8 BORE

8 BORE

8 BORE

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

Got any pictures

8. Aug 2, 2019 #8

tom berwinkle

tom berwinkle

tom berwinkle

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I will to try and get them this weekend. I got to find out how to send them to you.

9. Aug 6, 2019 #9

kansas_volunteer

kansas_volunteer

kansas_volunteer

45 Cal.

I always recommend Walter Prescott Webb's clasic work The Great Plains to anyone interested in portraying a plainsman. It won't tell you what to wear but will provide a foundation to build on, giving a understanding of the reality of life on the plains. There is a difference between the plains and the prairie that might be a factor in any portrail. I don't agree that a wild rag is an essential item, and very well may not even be correct for your era of interest.