Closed thread

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Spence10, Nov 29, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 4, 2018 #41

necchi

necchi

necchi

Cannon MLF Supporter

I've always hoped so, because that's kind of where I'm at.
    Stuck in the 21st century, working, paying bills, scrounging for what I can just to get away for the weekend from time to time. I can't afford a Vacation, I have staycations just so I can afford a mini-vacation,, with all the things that are "kinda" necessary for a typical Rendezvous,,
    ,,and I think a lot of folks are in that same spot,, I don't have private land to hunt,, I don't have a horse,, I don't even have a new truck. It's a 94` S-10 and a trailer built in 1964,,
    Then I have to listen to someone tell me that the prize I won shooting better then the others is not hc/pc?

Trust me, I'm studying,, wanna know anything about "voyageurs" or "schoolcraft"? ask away.
    But why does someone else have to stuff "mountain man" hc/pc down my throat in a section about Percussion rifles or the General forum?
    I don't get it,, :confused:

2. Dec 4, 2018 #42

Elnathan

Elnathan

Elnathan

50 Cal.

A Herschel House/woodbury school rifle or a Jim Kibler rifle (his handbuilt ones, not the kits) aren't either HC or PC, as normally understood, for anything but the last couple decades - neither of them are copies of original pieces, nor are they representation of original schools. They are in fact modern art pieces. However, they are hand-built guns made in the same way as the old pieces, function like the old pieces, built with the same aesthetic design principles as the old pieces, and are consciously intended as continuations of the old ways of building guns that also serve as a vehicle for the artistic sensibilities of the gunsmiths. They are traditional without being strictly historically correct, because they are built as part of a continuing, living tradition. I think it is perfectly logical to make a distinction between the two concepts.

As for the sliding scale, I can think of two, actually. One would be the accuracy of the artifact itself - how closely the replica approximates an original. One hand side you might have something that only kinda, sorta looks right from ten feet away and if you don't put on your glasses, on the other hand we have a copy that is indistinguishable on the molecular level. Most pieces are going to fall somewhere between that, but some are going to be better than others. Somewhere on the scale, so to speak. (There is also the issue that most original pieces are not in an as-new condition, and thus even a very close copy is still at heart a interpretation of what it looked like new). Judging the historical correctness of a replica is thus always a matter of deciding what compromises are acceptable and what are not.

The other scale might be the probability that the item in question was actually used or carried. Don't have time to go into that adequately tonight.

3. Dec 4, 2018 #43

necchi

necchi

necchi

Cannon MLF Supporter

Cool. Can you help others to grasp that concept?

4. Dec 4, 2018 #44

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

So you're just like everyone else. Congratulations!

Firstly, I don't post in the percussion section, though I do occasionally read the posts.

Secondly, the General forum isn't just for you to express your opinions. Everyone gets to post there, even the people you don't like and that post things that upset your delicate feelings.

Thirdly, no one can stuff anything down your throat. The problem seems to be that opinions different than your own bother you and you just can't tolerate others disagreeing with you.

This is all very confusing - I distinctly remember you saying that you were putting me in the lead box just last week. And yet, here we are...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. Dec 4, 2018 #45

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

I truly think it is purely a matter of how an individual chooses to respond to the information, so long as it is factual.

I don't have a problem with someone pointing out inaccuracies. I simply view it as them trying to be helpful, and I move on. I can do whatever I like with the information they give me.
    Except complain, because I might find the next piece of information extremely valuable.

Brokennock, azmntman and Black Hand like this.
  6. Dec 4, 2018 #46

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

No man is an island,

I will need your help.

7. Dec 5, 2018 #47

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

I guess if we have to take sides, I wish we didn't, I have to come down on the hc/pc side here. Although I often agree in some way with both. I've learned a lot more accurate historical information from that side, including from some who may irritate me, "like" or "dislike" has nothing to do with it, than I have from the "if they'd have had it they would have used it," crowd.

Someone earlier mentioned sharing info. That would seem to be the point of the excersize here. It seems to me that the hc/pc group is trying to make sure the correct info is passed down correctly, maybe a little overzealously at times, but I see most of the foot stomping tantrums from the "don't tell me nuthin, I don't care," side. We have all fallen victim to poor/inaccurate info that has been passed down since the '70s, 1970s that is. And some seem to be trying to end that trend. If one doesn't care so be it. Why step on the person who does care, maybe someone else reading the thread does care amd can learn something from it. If someone doesn't care about hc/pc gear or skills they can ignore the post of one who does, but, please don't tell your kids, their friends, the public you run into un the woods, or your curios/interested coworker, "this is what they used back in ______, or this is how they did things in ______." Which is I think what the hc/pc group is ultimately trying to put an end to.
    Lord knows I've had my wires crossed and knickers twisted by some of these members before. But I do think they mean no harm, and can be easily ignored. There are periods of time included in this forum I have no interest in, mostly post 1800, I just ignore that stuff for the most part, although I do occasionally learn something, usually skill related, from someone who has been involved in post 1800 reenacting.

I do agree that some of the members who come down on the side of hc/pc could do a better job of posting examples, evidence, etc. But I also appreciate how much time and work goes into posting these things.

Can we maybe let everyone have their say and either learn from it or ignore it without the posting contest?

Speaking of all this, what ever became of Luke McGhille? (I probably butchered spelling his last name it's been so long)

Coot and Black Hand like this.
  8. Dec 5, 2018 #48

necchi

necchi

necchi

Cannon MLF Supporter

I had hoped to do so,,
    I'll try harder

Coot likes this.
  9. Dec 5, 2018 #49

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Bahahahaaa, I didn't originally write "posting," lol.

I truly hope we can all come to terms as I'd hate to lose some of the historically knowledgeable posters here, and more so, I'd hate to see the perpetuation of myths, wives tales, and just plain b.s. that has been handed down as "history" for too long.

Coot and necchi like this.