• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clogged nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1643306775801.png
1643306823947.png
These look like the two that I have like that, I picked the pictures off of Amazon, but the one on the left came from Thompson Center with my rifle and the one on the right came with the used 45 caliber I bought last fall. I also have two or three that I made out of things like eighth inch pipe that seem to work as well as the bought ones But they don't have the touch hole wire. I actually started using that small paperclip I use for the touch hole in my flintlock. It just happened also work in my percussions. Hope this helps.
Squint

The new stainless? nipples I got from midway actually have a smaller hole than the factory Traditions.
Thank you Doubleset and everyone else who took the time to help. But there is still one thing no one has answered unless I missed it... What do you coat the bore of a 32 with to keep it from rusting between uses? And do you coat the breech too?

Brand new TC Hotshot nipples measure .034 the TOTW hot shot nipples measure .026 pyrodex P really likes a .034 nipple hole size. But at .038 they are too big and will start cocking the gun. There is a pretty fine line with pyrodex.

To preserve the barrel steel against rust try Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube.
This is a dry lube that prevent rust and make the bore easy to slide a PRP down.
Alternatively use any of the modern synthetic gun oils G96 Bio-CLP Gun Oil is a vegetable based oil.

You don’t need to avoid petroleum based oil you just need to wipe out the wetness of the oil from the bore prior to loading and firing just like you do with a modern high power cartridge firing firearm.
Bronze brushing with water and Dawn detergent will remove the bulk loose and harden fouling.
Then switch to a modern gun cleaner like M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner a water based cleaner that excels at carbon removal. Then apply a final thin coat of oil as rust proofing and store the rifle muzzle down for drainage.
Remember to wipe a paper towel patch wrapped on a brush to remove any synthetic oil wetness the has lingered as it is supposed to.

Last edited:
There's a simple way to clean your flash channel and bolster. Remove the barrel, you can leave the nipple in or take it out, and flush the barrel in a bucket, sink orother container. The rushing water will go from one end to the other and clean out everything in between. I use a tea ball to hold my nipple and let it soak in a cup of tepid water and sop then hit it with a toothbrush.

There's a simple way to clean your flash channel and bolster. Remove the barrel, you can leave the nipple in or take it out, and flush the barrel in a bucket, sink orother container. The rushing water will go from one end to the other and clean out everything in between. I use a tea ball to hold my nipple and let it soak in a cup of tepid water and sop then hit it with a toothbrush.

That’s plenty!
I give it 1 or 2 pumps then take the nipple out.
Then pump until water fills the barrel hitting the bore protector and spraying black water all over everything and everyone… me, ceiling, dog etc.
Done!!

Latest posts

Back