• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clip on Wheel weights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe they are mostly zinc with very little lead content. Not like the old wheel weights, these new ones have far less lead in them, if any.

Yeah broke a ball started trying to load a patched round ball made from clip on wheel weights. Almost broke the rammer on my 1858 Remington too. Lessons learned, however if you can find some of the stick on lead wheel weights, those are good for black powder.

Any idea what the lead content of clip on wheel weights is? Anyone use these for casting round balls?
Don't know anything about the lead content but I know they are pretty hard. Back when I had lots of spare time for casting balls I used to make .315 rbs with about 1/3 wheel wt lead. This effectively kept the ball from expanding and blowing squirrels in half. Just made a nice neat hole.

A friend (God rest your soul Mike) brought me a bucket of wheel weights last year. Probably half of them are zinc, but there are still some lead ones around. You can use a pair of pliers to check if they are zinc or some other besides lead material. If they dent easily, they are most likely lead. I just toss them in the casting pot along with my range scrap when melting. If they float to the top intact, they aren't lead. You can use them-the lead ones- to trade with people who do have pure lead. Shooters of those new fangled guns who cast want harder lead alloy.

You can use them for roundballs but as stated, they'll be slightly larger and you'll likely need much thinner patch material. And they probably won't 'upset/mushroom' like pure lead at BP velocities.

You can use them for roundballs but as stated, they'll be slightly larger and you'll likely need much thinner patch material. And they probably won't 'upset/mushroom' like pure lead at BP velocities.
Exactly this. I used them for years when I had no soft lead. The Lead WWs if you have them vary on content but are approximately 95% lead and the rest tin and possibly other alloys like antimony.

A source of pure lead is Verizon/Ma Bell linesmen - many retain the pure lead sleeves/casings at telephone line junctions they regularly have to replace when doing repair work.

One of my friends is a retired linesman who amassed several hundred pounds that he re-cast into ingots & stored until use...….

WW lead is often used for smooth bores, but not very many use it for rifles or pistols.Same with linotype lead.I keep my pure lead for the rifles and pistols, but for the smoothbores I use any and all!

Everyone has explained it so well that I am only adding what I use. I have soft lead for ML, and old style wheel weights for 'unmentionable' pistols and I have gotten some Linotype metal to alloy with the WWs for unmentionable rifles. I hope that I haven't led anyone to 'the Dark Side'?

I have used them for smoothbore round balls. The old lead/antimony clip-on kind. The rule was if you could scratch it with your fingernail it was soft enough. And 30 years ago I was determined enough to keep at it until it scratched, by gum.

With "pure" lead so available I quit using them. But still have a hoard . . . just in case.

5018D4F3-4CC4-4EFC-B7C5-7EB10AF3F903.jpeg
5018D4F3-4CC4-4EFC-B7C5-7EB10AF3F903.jpeg

Here’s a hardness chart from yesteryear.
Telco lead and stick on WWs are 40/1, still plenty soft for MLers.
The old clip-on WW are lead alloyed with tin/antimony and a touch of arsenic.
Lead is being legislated out of existence, the new WWs are steel (magnetic) or zinc (Zn stamped into the mold)
At first Zinc will float in a lead melt but if hot enough it will melt too making an oatmeal like mess that absolutely ruins your lead and pot.

Latest posts

Back