• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Climbing the ladder!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went down to my range today and sighted in the .54 Brooks rifle I got from the Rock Island auction. After taking the lock apart and polishing it and the trigger bar internally, it was ready for a go. Pulling a load out of the air worked well. Each number is stopping to file some off the front sight. 50yds. benched. 6:00 hold on the black. Easy loading .526 ball. It came in almost to easily.

P_20201104_132628.jpgDetail pictures 023.JPG

6:00 hold is easier to see and hold on when sighting in than trying to keep the sights in the middle of the black. Either way the POI is roughly 2" or so above the sight picture at 50yds. Should make me good with a center hold on a deer to 100yds.

Why 6:00 hold instead of POI=POA?
Just curios.

You will never get an good aim on a large black dot like that with a center hold and the flat top sights. They human eye can't do it. A 6:00 hold allows the eye to resolve a relatively fine point. I find even better is to use an upside-down T, and aim where the lines intersect. A + doesn't work as well either, as you loose your front sight in the lower line. Upside-down triangles, or diamonds work quite well too.

Latest posts

Back