• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainVane

Colt ‘51 & Remington ‘58 .36; Colt ‘48 .31
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure this may be the most asked question on here. But here we go again.
I have done …
Dawn soap boiling water.
Followed by Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic (works)
Followed by Hoppes #9
Followed by Ballistol CLP
And after 2 hours with a Q tip I still get black especially around nipple threads and deep in chambers.
Barrel is spotless.
So lately I stopped the soap and water because next morning I find rust in spots and I dont think water and metal is a good idea.
So i start with Muzzle Magic.
My point is… no matter what i use, i can never get a qtip or patch to ever come pure white after 2 hours of cleaning.
Is that a myth?
Do you really able to remove every trace of bp after a day at range?
Don’t be critical, be nice, just asking.

No gun, be it Muzzleloader or Modern is ever 100% clean.

If you stop looking for residue, you won't find any residue.
Thank you. I thought I was nuts, regardless of what wife says. I read thread about cleaning until patches are white. I’m like What?, i been cleaning for 2 hours and still pulling grey. I literally was cleaning 2 pistols after day at range last week, almost 4 hours at kitchen table trying to get pure white. For every hour at range i am 2 hours cleaning and still not spotless.

Captain,
I dribble HOT(about 120°) tap water(no soap, not necessary) on the back of the cylinder while I scrub around the nipples with a toothbrush. Blow off the excess while still hot, and oil with another toothbrush loaded with a drop or two of your favorite oil. That's it, fast and effective. Reassemble and enjoy your revolver

I get clean white patches with dang near all my guns, everytime. It may be that before that 1st shot the oil and grease was not COMPLETLY removed? Anyway, I can get my Cabelas Hawkin clean and dry and oiled in 5-6 patches every time and the last dry patch is WHITE? Not better than anybody else, just lucky? I clean like ya'all (in the sink and pump till I am happy). Disclaimer, the Cabelas are chrome lined. Other barrels you may double the amount of patches but I clean til they come out white.

No gun, be it Muzzleloader or Modern is ever 100% clean.

If you stop looking for residue, you won't find any residue.

And water is exactly what you need to clean BP fouling out of a BP firearm.
I use hot soapy water to clean my TC Hawken, always have but it’s different. It sucking up and out vent hole, then drying with patches then hoppes
I get clean white patches with dang near all my guns, everytime. It may be that before that 1st shot the oil and grease was not COMPLETLY removed? Anyway, I can get my Cabelas Hawkin clean and dry and oiled in 5-6 patches every time and the last dry patch is WHITE? Not better than anybody else, just lucky? I clean like ya'all (in the sink and pump till I am happy). Disclaimer, the Cabelas are chrome lined. Other barrels you may double the amount of patches but I clean til they come out white.
AZMAN, you kinda maybe sayin what i find. I can get my Hawken rifle perfect clean in no time. The pistols with all the disassembled pieces, barrel, frame, cylinder, 6 chambers, 6 nipples, nooks and crannies, takes forever and still not as clean as i want.
I have this 1971 Remington was never fired. People say how can you tell? Because there is not a spot of grey powder anywhere. You just cannot remove every hint of powder once its fired.

I am sure this may be the most asked question on here. But here we go again.
I have done …
Dawn soap boiling water.
Followed by Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic (works)
Followed by Hoppes #9
Followed by Ballistol CLP
And after 2 hours with a Q tip I still get black especially around nipple threads and deep in chambers.
Barrel is spotless.
So lately I stopped the soap and water because next morning I find rust in spots and I dont think water and metal is a good idea.
So i start with Muzzle Magic.
My point is… no matter what i use, i can never get a qtip or patch to ever come pure white after 2 hours of cleaning.
Is that a myth?
Do you really able to remove every trace of bp after a day at range?
Don’t be critical, be nice, just asking.
Or quick and simple, my method. Install an action cover, pack internals with synthetic grease. A casual shooter can go years without doing a complete tear down since no fowling or fragments will go into the frame. Go shoot and enjoy.
After shooting then get home, remove cylinder and barrel (Colt clone) cylinder (Remington), remove nipples. Clean barrel , cylinder and nipples with Moose Milk and flush with hot water, wipe frame with MM then dry and lube with Ballistol …done in 30 minutes. No surface rust, no complicated procedures, fast and simple.

I use very hot soapy water, sucking water up through the nipple hole into the barrel with a snug patch on a jag. Then a bronze bore brush. And then hot water rinse, and then an alcohol rinse.

Bore patches come out pristine.

Just got back from range, shot the Colt Navy. I bought this stuff Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic. I tried it last week just on the barrel, its a pink sticky stuff but 2 patches and the barrel was spotless. Going to try it later on the whole pistol.
I’ve always been a proponent of Hoppes #9, but i read recently that it really doesnt do squat on BP. Mostly for smokeless powder. Who knows, i will still rin a few swabs with it, old habits.

Just got back from range, shot the Colt Navy. I bought this stuff Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic. I tried it last week just on the barrel, its a pink sticky stuff but 2 patches and the barrel was spotless. Going to try it later on the whole pistol.
I’ve always been a proponent of Hoppes #9, but i read recently that it really doesnt do squat on BP. Mostly for smokeless powder. Who knows, i will still rin a few swabs with it, old habits.
Hoppes makes one for BP and another for smokeless. I just use plain tap water and Ballistol.

Back