• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish I hadn't asked. :)

Corroded on screws are just the worst.

I remember when being a teenager and getting my first motocross bike. The first time I changed the transmission oil the threads came out with the bolt. Boy was I unhappy, and soon a lot poorer.

@Rock Home Isle,
Like @hanshi, I always remove the nipple on my cap and never remove the vent liner on my flint lock rifles. One reason is the size if the touch hole compared to the size of the hole in the nipple. The tiny hole can still get easily clogged by the fouling. Of course a steady stream of cleaning solution being forced through the nipple is a pretty good indication the the flash channel is clear. Still, I have several flint lock rifles that have no vent liner, but they are directly drilled. I'm not pulling the breech plug to clean the breech. Most of my flintlock guns have the barrel pinned to the stock. I can better keep the cleaning solution from soaking into the stock by controlling the smaller stream of water through the touch hole.

I don't find any conflict with having a different procedure for guns with percussion nipples and my guns with a touch hole.

@Rock Home Isle,
Like @hanshi, I always remove the nipple on my cap and never remove the vent liner on my flint lock rifles. One reason is the size if the touch hole compared to the size of the hole in the nipple. The tiny hole can still get easily clogged by the fouling. Of course a steady stream of cleaning solution being forced through the nipple is a pretty good indication the the flash channel is clear. Still, I have several flint lock rifles that have no vent liner, but they are directly drilled. I'm not pulling the breech plug to clean the breech. Most of my flintlock guns have the barrel pinned to the stock. I can better keep the cleaning solution from soaking into the stock by controlling the smaller stream of water through the touch hole.

I don't find any conflict with having a different procedure for guns with percussion nipples and my guns with a touch hole.
…I suspect my attempt at humor escapes you…

Since we have now included vent liners into the discussion......

I always pull nipples, period. If the vent liner is direct drilled or is an install and file off type (Some of Chambers White Lightnings are like this
) then I obviously don't touch it. BUT if like on a lot of production guns, the liner has a screwdriver slot or what not, I DO remove those and clean them separately just like I do a nipple.

Every time cleaned in bp solvent scrubbed on the outside with a small brush inside with dental plixters then a dab of copper based grease before replacement.

Nipples come out every time , picked and cleaned then clear never seize, The stuff called Super Lube Anti Seize. I to have had nipples hard as all get out to break free and am not going to let that happen again. Sure it’s an aggravation to do but the end result is better than well you know.:thumb:

Back