• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifles and pistols I remove the nipple so larger stuff that might clog up get flushed out.
Revolvers I remove them once a year.

I put 8 shots thru my Pedersoli SBS today.

Clean the nips last time. Think I'll leave them in and just clean the shot holes this time.

Do you remove nipples and clean & relube threads after every shooting session, or only once in a while?
I pump water through nipple/ flash hole several times to flush them out before removing them to finish cleaning the bore. I usually wrap a piece of teflon thread seal on before re-installing.

I use the pump method too with a 5 gal bucket of hot water and yea, it's easier with the out, but still works. :)

That said taking them off is so little effort why skip it, I concluded.

Only once in a while. But I always remove them and put them back with some anti-seize before the first time out with new (to me) guns. Same with flint lock touch holes. I clean by pumping so don’t see the benefit of removing the nips every time.

Nipples only need to be tightened to snug. There is no need to overtighten and stress the threads. Then a little bit of grease or the never-seize lubricant will help with ease of removal at the next cleaning. I like to have that 1/4" hole in the hooked breech nipple seat to really flush out the breech. Why try to pump cleaning solution out through a 0.028" hole when a 0.250" hole is readily available? Then there is room for a pipe cleaner to dry out the flash channel from the nipple seat to the powder chamber.

I do have to admit that I do not remove touch hole liners from my flint lock rifles and smoothbores.

I take the nipple off almost every time. Sometimes time I just run a pipe cleaner with Ballistal/water mixture through the nipple, then a dry pipe cleaner, then one soaked in pure Ballistal or olive oil. Of course I wipe down the outside as well.

Several years ago I bought a "Brand New & Never Fired" stainless ROA. It didn't take much inspection to determine that it was neither New, nor Unfired, and the already cheap price was further adjusted accordingly.
Stainless or not, the never-before-removed nipples were solidly corroded into place, and removing them to replace with a set of Ampco nipples was a daunting task.
Whether steel or Ampco nipples, they all get removed for cleaning Every Time.

They are removed every time after a range session for cleaning. If I shoot more than 3 cylinders the gun get a complete tear down for a thorough cleaning.

Latest posts

Back