• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning up the revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How should I best clean my BP match guns?... I read on the BP forums or some book...bla...bla..bla...some complicated and overly involved methods...the same question from every new BP match shooter looking for short cuts or maybe the best way to keep their fine match guns working properly and accurately shooting. My answer is always just simple. Get the fouling off all the metal and wood. Soapy water or any mild cleaner is fine. Then use any oil or grease to prevent rust. Consider that BP fouling may be on the outside parts from normal handling during a practice session. My six Open and Traditional match pistols have worked just fine using this simple method since 1995...c

I have adopted 45Ds method of pumping grease into the internals to keep out fowling and added an action shield to the hammer to also further keep fowling and junk from dropping into the action. I did it to my 51 Navy and 58 Army and the actions are super smooth and clean. I shot my 58 Army a couple of days back and thanks to the modification, cleaning took a fraction of the time and effort it took before the modification. My Dragoon will get this mod next cause it loves to swallow fowling and cap fragments.

View attachment 176566View attachment 176567
Got any photos of the hammer and shield setup for the 58 nma that you would be willing to share?

Back