• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning TVM Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armyeod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TVM and never have fired it. Sometime I will get to it. I am a new owner.

However, I do want to insure that the rifle is properly maintained, even though it has not been fired (yet).

So I need advice on cleaning, mainly the bbl.

I have a collection of modern arms and maintain them very meticulously. I usually clean from the breech. Cannot do that with a flintlock.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and you will need a cleaning jag or two along with a breech scraper. Get one jag for the caliber of gun you have and one caliber smaller. TVM website had a good page on how to clean.

There's a lot of threads on cleaning your muzzle loader. Read a bunch of them and you will see some common themes in the methods,

As the kid says you need a good working rod with bore protector and prop erly sized jag for the cleaning.

Before you first shoot your rifle, clean the bore with a rubbing alcohol wetted path to get all the rust inhibiting preservative out. By now you should know that only black powder will satisfactorily work in a flintlock.

The best mystery cleaning solution is water with a drop or two grease dissolving dish detergent. A tooth pick will be needed to block the touch hole. Fill the dirty bore with your cleaning solution. Let is sit for a few minutes, dump and repeat. Then run some damp cleaning patches to clean the last of the stubborn fouling from the grooves and breech face. Pull the toothpick and run a pipe cleaner dipped in the cleaning solution through the touch hole. Now get the water out with patches dampened with the rubbing alcohol (or WD-40) to displace the water. Use some dry patches to dry the bore. Prepare for storage by using a patch with a good rust inhibiting lubricant such as Barricade. Wait a day and wipe the bore with Barricade again. Store in your gun cabinet with the muzzle down so any liquid at the breech can run out.

Enjoy your TVM flintlock.

Yep hot water although I use a cap full of Murphy's oil soap instead of dish soap. Although either will work. Hot water evaporates faster and will dry in the bore quicker. Get the quick clean clamp and hose from track of the wolf. A lot of guys don't like them but I do. They work well with pinned barrels. The trick is to place the gun upside down in some type of cradle with the muzzle lower than the bore. If you have a hooked breech then simply remove the barrel and place the touch-hole end into the bucket of cleaning solution place a patch over the muzzle and insert the ramrod with cleaning Jag pump up and down to force water in and out which cleans the bore mirror

Back