• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning Traditions Crockett .32...repeatedly stuck jag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be that a "ring" or a "cake" of fouling has developed in the area just ahead of the breech? This can be a real pain. I bore brush can go into a very wet bore, and then be turned by a rod many times to try to loosen up the crud. It can be difficult to remove the brush, because unlike on a breech-loading rifle where the brush can be pushed all the way through, you will have to "reverse direction" of the brush, which will make for considerable effort. Keep turning the brush until this becomes a bit easier.

When the jag comes out, is it torn up? If so, is it due to pitting or something like that?

if you have any tow, you can make a little "figure 8" over the muzzle, and then use the jag to drive it down like a patch. Give it some vigorous scrubbing up and down and see if that dislodges anything? The plug of tow should come out like a patch. If a strand or two is left in there, it will burn up when you cap the piece before you load it.

If it is very stubborn fouling and pitting, you may have to do what you can with the jag and patches, and then get some J&B bore paste and some gun oil and basically lap it out.

Good luck!

Also, a fouling scraper might be called for, if there is a "cake" of fouling at the base of the breech.

A worst case scenario might involve a bulge in the barrel or a "ringed barrel." This could arise if the ball was not seated fully on the powder charge, and a resultant dead air space was left between the charge and the patched ball.

Did the cleaning patches always hang up at the breech?

If this is something that just started happening, then the crud ring theory makes sense.

How far does the rod go into the barrel? Does the rod reach to the interface of the breech plug and the barrel? There may a burr left over from the manufacturing process. There may be a gap between the breech plug and the barrel. There may be some roughness in the sub caliber breech chamber mouth.

I hope its a build up of crud. May be worth using some steel wool on your jag to smooth things out.

I've used copper wool in the past on particularly fouled bores, and written off brushes and used those until they are worn out too.

I appear to have one that gets the jag/cleaning patch stuck by the breech. How did you overcome this and are able to do a good job cleaning the rifle? Any experienced helpful pointers are appreciated. Thanks!

USE A LITTLE MORE MOISTURE..
UNLESS THE STICKING VILLAIN IS A WEE BIT OF METAL LEFT OVER FROM DAS RIFLING.
DUTCH

Not a fouling ring...just been struggling with it since I built it from a kit...I read somewhere in my searches that there was a batch of them made that caused these hang ups but I didn’t see a real workaround/remedy. Something about a gap with the breech plug. And I’m using the tapered shaft jag from TOTW.

Last edited:
Not a fouling ring...just been struggling with it since I built it from a kit...I read somewhere in my searches that there was a batch of them made that caused these hang ups but I didn’t see a real workaround/remedy. Something about a gap with the breech plug. And I’m using the tapered shaft jag from TOTW.
Have the problem all the time, every time. It seems to bunch up when it gets to the breech and almost impossible to pull out and when i do get it out seems most time patch left in the breech. I have to use a vise. My solution, get a 22 wire brush and wrap the patch around it with an overlap on the bottom of the brush. Have not had one stuck since. It is like every jag i have is just to big with any patch. 22 brush gives it room to do its job. Wire is really not touching the bore but is flexible to allow the patch to not get stuck.

I use to have the same problem as you, it was an easy fix, just need to find your cause.

You should have no issue using a jag. The problem is either equipment related or technique.

Place your jag in a cordless drill and use some fine sand paper to polish and taper the jag a little bit. I know it sounds like a redneck solution but I had a similar issue and was able to customize my jag to prevent it from sticking while still cleaning the barrel thoroughly.

Sounds to me like you have a jag problem. To short ajag will allow the patch to bunch up and stick in the breach.

I wonder if some of the Traditions end up with a metal burr on the breech plug that tends to snag a patch. I had one that would do the same thing, especially if the cleaning patch was pushed to the bottom of the breach and turned there. I quit turning the rod and patch and avoided the problem and it eventually quit doing it.

Swabbing after every shot with Moose Milk.

Moose milk ?

I guess the question I should have asked a long time ago is, "do your patches stick in a clean barrel too, or only a fouled one" ?

So, we seem to have ruled out all the equipment issues (yet I'm still suspect of the patch size ) that leaves your technique as the possible problem.
Technique is one of the things I changed. to solve my issue.

Try using M.A.P. instead of moose milk and swab the barrel in sections.
I squirt a little MAP down the barrel first, then swab. The key though is to swab in sections. Those little patches fill up with fouling quickly. As you near the bottom of the barrel, advance and retreat in short increments. This prevents the patch from sticking.

Back