• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

cleaning the outside of barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one know what works best on cleaning the outside of the barrel, I left it in the white on this GPR and its starting to get like faded spots, maybe powder residue, grease, oil, who knows what, its by no means bad, just starting very faint faded looking dark places. I been cleaning it with the soap and water, and oiling.

I took the bbl. down to the white on my CVA Kentucky,Instead of useing a browning system to do the job in a hurry,it will eventually darken over a period of time if You don't polish with abrasives(steel wool fine sandpaper Etc). The problem is it will not be a uniform brown.If thats what Your looking for! Get a browning kit and have at it.Basically what happens over time is the bbl.gets surface rust that mixes with the oil and protects the metal just as the kits do.Sometimes You'll see an old steel/iron hand rail that has turned brown but dosn't pit or rust through where the oil from peoples hands constantly is buffed into the metal.This is the same basic process. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Gordy

On a in the white bare metal clp breakfree will keep it clean as a whisle.I have a jukar pistol that i took the bluing off about 6 months ago and it is as bright as the day i did it.Took the bluing off the gpr about a week ago and use clp on it till i get around to degreaseing it and brownen,not a speck of rust on either.

My .45 Flinter has had a bright barrel and lock for 20 years - still bright. Same as two chrom-moly(not stainless) big bores I have. All I do is wipe them down with DW40, same as the inside, after cleaning. There's a little discolouration around the lock on the flinter - so what? That's what happened to them all. With the modern guns that have bright barrels, there's no discolouration at all - pehaps better steel - certainly different composition.
Daryl

Latest posts

Back