• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning swabs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife is a quilter. The batting she uses is 90%cotton and 10% poly. She saves the remnants for me and they work very well as barrel cleaning patches ONLY. It is easy to tear the material apart and I use a worn brass brush as a jag. I have never experienced any problems with particles of the batting being left in the barrel since they are gone with the first shot. The batting is not appropriate for use as a bullet patch. Just a suggestion if anyone cares to try.

Sounds like a good idea. I might give it a try. Normally I buy baby flannel and cut it in to patches for my muzzleloaders and other firearms.

Thanks BH. :thumbsup:

Chris

:hmm: Sounds like a good idea worth trying. I just happen to have some left from previous quilt project. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip. :hatsoff:

Ive used everything from cigarette filters to toilet paper,hey, whatever works and is expedient and gets the job done.

I picked up a cotton flannel sheet from the second-hand store years ago for a few $ and am still using it...

I use old flannel shirts and don't know what mat'l they're made from. But, they do the job....Fred

I use a lot of old t-shirts, old bed linens and such. I do use baby flannel from a couple I bought at the Thrift Store.

For swabbing bbls have 2 jags of slightly different dias per calibre which accept a variety of patches from old flannel shirts. Never used old T-shirts seeing the mat'l is so thin, although they are cotton. It's surprising that most flannel shirts even after multiple washings are fairly uniform asre mat'l thickness......probably the polyester content....Fred

Back