Cleaning swabs

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Baby Huey

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is a quilter. The batting she uses is 90%cotton and 10% poly. She saves the remnants for me and they work very well as barrel cleaning patches ONLY. It is easy to tear the material apart and I use a worn brass brush as a jag. I have never experienced any problems with particles of the batting being left in the barrel since they are gone with the first shot. The batting is not appropriate for use as a bullet patch. Just a suggestion if anyone cares to try.

Snakebite

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I might give it a try. Normally I buy baby flannel and cut it in to patches for my muzzleloaders and other firearms.

Thanks BH. :thumbsup:

Chris

Billnpatti

Cannon
Reaction score
:hmm: Sounds like a good idea worth trying. I just happen to have some left from previous quilt project. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip. :hatsoff:

robert bw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ive used everything from cigarette filters to toilet paper,hey, whatever works and is expedient and gets the job done.

Pete G

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I WEAR my old t-shirts. :haha:

For cleaning patches I use flannel from the fabric dept. It doesn't stretch like the knit fabrics do.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
I picked up a cotton flannel sheet from the second-hand store years ago for a few $ and am still using it...

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
I use old flannel shirts and don't know what mat'l they're made from. But, they do the job....Fred

Gene L

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I got one of those red Delta blankets when I last flew. They're GREAT for rubbing and swabing. I don't know what they're made of.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I use a lot of old t-shirts, old bed linens and such. I do use baby flannel from a couple I bought at the Thrift Store.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
For swabbing bbls have 2 jags of slightly different dias per calibre which accept a variety of patches from old flannel shirts. Never used old T-shirts seeing the mat'l is so thin, although they are cotton. It's surprising that most flannel shirts even after multiple washings are fairly uniform asre mat'l thickness......probably the polyester content....Fred

Latest posts