• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning rod idea.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this man's idea has a lot of good merits. You're sure not going to pull a tip off using it that's for sure. Now I can at some point envision seeing the epoxy start to let go, as it is not the best adhesive under wet conditions, such as when using wet cleaning materials. The string will eventually start to come loose. But, for a field cleaning rod, where you're only going to run a damp patch a few times to remove fouling, I think it'd work fine.

Looks like a solid idea to me, don't known why it would wear the muzzle crown out anymore than a plain old wood ram rod. As stated earlier that why you us a muzzle guide. I raise my glass to ya for the idea.

Kind of like the wire coil attachment for holding tow, maybe even a bit more secure (but you gotta get rid of the glow in the dark green cordage 😉) Neat ideal. Suggestion as you have drilled a hole in the bottom of the rod to hold the beginning cord wrap, perhaps also a hole further up the rod where the wrap ends, instead of cordage a wire of copper , run the tag end in the bottom hole with 3 wraps past the hole, then coil the wire up the rod in the manner of the string then run the other end of the wire through the upper hole and 3 wraps past the hole keeping all wraps tight, then a bit of solder on the wraps where they exit the holes. Ya got me thinking and that could be dangerous. 😁

Last edited:
Correct but there is a chance of the corkscrew jag being lost, I have and do use those, it would seem to me your ideal and my suggestion would eliminate that, as it has been too cold to do much in the shop (even with the big buddy blasting) I will wait a bit and try the permanently wire thing on a cleaning rod.

Very clever.

It wouldn't work for me though because (1) my MC's are all fitted too close to the cleaning rod to give myself enough room for the string, (2) the deflection from the string pushing the rod out from the natural center of the front pipe might make it too hard to remove, (3) the rod under tension from the front pipe is going to wear the finish off the rod as it wants to move forward under recoil, (4) it doesn't look very HC / PC.

I could see it as a spare rod though, or one you would just use for hunting, since, when hunting you rarely get very many shots, and it cuts down on the "one more thing" to have to bring with you in to the woods.

Back