• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning rod and or jag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Son

45 Cal.
Reaction score
CVA Kentucky 45,i want to replace the original rod and get one with jags and such,hickory,composite or? And where to get one,actually have a rifle that didn't have the rod and i want to clean the barrel.Now do most just use a range rod,or can you use the ramrod too.Thank you.

I call Track of the wolf for all my ramrod and cleaning jags, bore protectors, ball pullers, etc. You can't beat a 48" hickory range rod with a bore protector and a cleaning jag on it. I put a deer antler "T" handle on mine to help pull a dry ball. I don't use the ramrod for anything myself.

My personal preference for a cleaning rod is a brass range rod with a muzzle protector. The muzzle protector is an absolute necessity, it keeps you from getting uneven wear on your muzzle which will have a very detrimental effect on accuracy. I have put antique door knobs on the end of my range rods. It gives you a better (more comfortable) surface to push on when loading a tight ball and patch combination. Be absolutely sure to cross pin it so it can be used as a handle for pulling a ball if that should ever become necessary. You can find antique brass door knobs in antique shops, flea markets, garage sales, etc. You can also use a porcelain door knob. They look nice but they are a bit heavier. Another idea is to use a cue ball if you can find one.

I use a steel rod, with a brass guide on it. It comes threaded for 10-32 or 8-32 and then u just buy the jags/attachment, ball puller, worm whatever u need each jag is about 3 bucks. I use one rod for everything. Ohh its from Track of the Wold runs I think 35 bucks or so.

You can use the ramrod but because of the length which is usually the length of the bore, when all the way in, not much left to grab. A range rod would be better. I almost always clean as soon as I get home so I just use a regular cleaning rod with a muzzle protector and the cleaning attachments needed for that caliber.

Yeah I had one back in the 70's like that with no attachment holes. You could by a drill and tap and tap the end of the ramrod brass thingy for a 8-32 thread or just buy a new rod. A range rod is nice but in the field you would need your rod with some attachments

Bob

Ok now i know what i should have known about the ram rod being to short.Range rod it is from Track.I have my box with just about everything but jag stuff,i also have a porcelin door knob i got when i first got a rifle,i came by another that needs a rod and Range rod,bout the time i got serious and got a grand daughter to take care of,they movin to some god awful place called Texas,i hear it ain't nutin but thieves and liars,so move over me and grandma may be there soon :hatsoff: :haha: :wink: Thanks all for the info apreciate it.

You can find antique brass door knobs in antique shops, flea markets, garage sales, etc. You can also use a porcelain door knob

Or glass. :grin:
rodhandle.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Well come on to Texas. I'll take you under my wing and teach you all of the arts and sciences of lyin' and theivin'. :thumbsup: :haha: :haha:

I have hickory loading rods that live on the rifle, plus range rods and cleaning rods of assorted materials.

But I gotta say, I appear to use the loading rods a whole lot more than most folks. I want to KNOW if those hickory rods are gonna break, crack or shed their hardware, so I use them lots for routine loading on and off the range. Also use them for swabbing and cleaning most of the time.

Noway, nohow do I want to be surprised by rod problems in the field, where I do most of my shooting. Just doesn't make sense to baby my rods to "avoid" breakage, when all I'm doing is putting it off by not using them.

No thanks on the glass door knobs!I had one shatter on me,the Doctor spent 30 min.digging the glass out of my hand,no I didn't hit it just pushed on it to seat the ball and not all that hard.I suspect the glass had a flaw that I missed seeing.I now use a brass knob.

Billnpatti said:
Well come on to Texas. I'll take you under my wing and teach you all of the arts and sciences of lyin' and theivin'. :thumbsup: :haha: :haha:
Thieves and liars in Texas...you're not really...well, maybe...ah, forget it! :wink:

i hear it ain't nutin but thieves and liars,so move over me and grandma may be there soon

Actually it's faster horses, more whiskey and more women or something close to that..,
my lawyer remembers, not my job.

Richard Eames said:
Actually it's faster horses, more whiskey and more women or something close to that..
Believe you're thinking of, "Hip shots, jalapenos and hog legs"...or maybe, "Double shots and faster women"! :wink: :haha:

Being a native Texan I take umbridge at the 'thieves and liars' appellation. The proper terms are 'speculators' and 'cunning linguists'. For decencys sake let us please eschew such derogatory obfuscation in the future to avoid muddying the vernacular of the peasantry! :rotf: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Tree.

BB, I can't imagine taking a risk in the field with a rod that might break. I know injury and suffering and slow, painful, lingering death 'back in the day' was considered 'authentic' but I'm not really wanting to go that route. Range or field, I prefer unbreakable rods. The 'authentic' stuff is saved for ronny and reenactments and I am very-very careful with how I handle them.

In the early 60s i was present at a match when an old hickory rod broke and went through a shooters hand. That weaned me off wooden ramrods.

Yup, guns are like cars. Each of us has to drive his own way.

I just don't like all those alternatives in the field.

A good hickory ramrod split from the log and shaved round like the originals, rather turned or sanded from a saw board, is about as tough as it comes. Used correctly, it isn't going to spear you in the unlikely event of a break.

Sure good ones are getting harder to find and more expensive. Sounds like lots of other things in muzzleloading and life.

My car. My steering wheel.

Back