• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad Karma, When you say "packed"?? do you mean just that? Fill her up? I'm a little slow LOL It sounds like a darn good idea to me. Thank you Sir.
Tim
Yes. Exactly that. I filled a couple of cheap plastic syringes with the grease and with the grip frame off but the action assembled, I just pump it inside untI’ll it’s filled with grease. Replace the grips, button everything up and away we go.

Yes. Exactly that. I filled a couple of cheap plastic syringes with the grease and with the grip frame off but the action assembled, I just pump it inside untI’ll it’s filled with grease. Replace the grips, button everything up and away we go.
Does Mobile 1 migrate into wood grips over time ? I've not tried it but like the idea of Synthetic use in our AK cold weather shooting.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here before but subjecting yourself and family to a lead contaminated dish washer may not be the best thing to do.
Just a thought.

Mike
I also don't know if it's been mentioned here, but putting gun parts into a dishwasher also runs the very real clear and present danger of getting clocked upside the head from behind with a 12 inch cast iron skillet, by the Queen of the Castle. Obviously more perilous and urgent than a slow death via lead.

Does Mobile 1 migrate into wood grips over time ? I've not tried it but like the idea of Synthetic use in our AK cold weather shooting.
It hasn’t in my experience. It’s kind of amazing how well it works in cold weather. That was the one consideration that gave me pause. It works just fine.

It hasn’t in my experience. It’s kind of amazing how well it works in cold weather. That was the one consideration that gave me pause. It works just fine.
Sounds like a pretty useful idea to me for arbors and ratchet stars any way. Not to sure about packing the action full though but it might work the same as packing a wheel bearing to help keep out water and dirt. Thanks for the idea! I'll chew on it some more and perhaps give it a try.

Before packing . . .
20211006_151509.jpg

After packing . . .
20211216_110754.jpg

There ya go.

Mike

wonder how well that works at -35'C
was that cold this morning up here- not that i`m out shooting daily and for hours at these temperatures. just not fun

do not see why a revolver has to be totally taken apart to clean it.
it does not need that every tie, but every 100 to 150 rounds it is a good idea to clean out all the muck and munge that collects in the frame. A lot of manure (carbonized randomly accelerated particles) will find a way down into the recesses of the frame where the working parts are.
respectfully
Bunk

@SPQR70AD “A lot of manure (carbonized randomly accelerated particles) will find a way down into the recesses of the frame where the working parts are.”

Unless there’s no place for fouling to go inside the action as shown by Mikes pictures below… And even if it does migrate into the action, no oxygen to support oxidation. MSDS says it’s good for 40 below zero and highly resistant to water washing. I know the guns cycle normally at 5 below zero. Gets any colder than that and I’m out of here!

Before packing . . .
View attachment 109793

After packing . . .
View attachment 109794

There ya go.

Mike

A gun will not get that cold anyways. If it is below zero out it will be fired after likely being in a vehicle or heated building just moments ago. If on foot it will be in a holster tight against my body under one or more thick layers.

How well does Mobil 1 work in 100 degree weather? Does it maintain consistency in hot temps?? The south do get mighty hot and humid in the summer. Thank you 45D for those pictures.

Latest posts

Back