• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejack

32 Cal
Reaction score
First time cleaning my new Kibler SMR. Poured warm water down barrel and set it aside for awhile(plugged touch hole first) When I got back to gun, a black streak had run out of the end of the lollipop tang-stained my beautiful new stock.The darn stuff won`t come off.Where did it come from?? Can`t have this! Probably call Jim Kibler tomorrow and ask him also. Thanks

Happened to me a couple times. Now when I do the "soak" I make certain the touch hole facing forward and the rifle is laying at a steep angle. When I drain I drain out the muzzle.
I was able to buff the streak out.

For the touch hole, I use a piece Saran Wrap or a thin plastic bag placed over the blunted tip of a tooth pick to serve as a gasket. Seals very well. Might also be a breach plug leak. Also, it can be difficult to pour water or solvent down the barrel of a small bore(even with a funnel) due to cavitation, causing solvent to run the length of the barrel/tang. Although the black coloration on the stock would more likely originate from the flash hole or breach plug.

Same happened to me a a new build. I had not sealed the finish of BLO. I was able to wipe the stain out with alcohol on a rag, but of course that removed the BLO and most of the original color stain. That area refinished nicely and blends in so you would never know it. Then I waxed the stock. First coat I melted the paste wax and rubbed it in vigorously, buffed when dry. Then I did a second coat in the normal manner. Have had some fouled water run on it since with no stain resulting.

For the touch hole, I use a piece Saran Wrap or a thin plastic bag placed over the blunted tip of a tooth pick to serve as a gasket. Seals very well. Might also be a breach plug leak. Also, it can be difficult to pour water or solvent down the barrel of a small bore(even with a funnel) due to cavitation, causing solvent to run the length of the barrel/tang. Although the black coloration on the stock would more likely originate from the flash hole or breach plug.
Good tip! I might try a little square of Teflon plumber's tape over a toothpick.

I dip the toothpick in water for a couple seconds to swell it before plugging the hole then take a small pad of paper towel and lay it in the pan and close the frizzen. Any leaks are caught by the paper towel. I remove the lock after cleaning the barrel.

I've always used a toothpick with generally excellent results. But I also wrap the breech area in paper towels.

I hesitate to comment but pouring water in the barrel may be historically correct but we are not in the 1700's or 1800"s. When I first got into flintlocks an "old Timer" told me when cleaning a muzzleloader forget the "soaking with water" just spray a patch with 409 or Fantastic and swab the barrel, repeat with a clean patch or 2 until clean. Swab with WD40 and finish with an oil based swap. In 12 years I've never had a rust problem! If I need to swab between shots I just spray a patch with 409 or Fantastic and swab, works great. Give it a try, maybe you'll like it. Just my $.02 worth.

Back