• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skypilot39b

36 Cal.
Reaction score
yeah, I know, it's a can of worms.....This question is fairly simple. Lyman GPR, Flint, do I leave the touch hole liner in or take it out for cleaning?

The only time a liner should be removed, would be to replace it.

When I R&R a vent, I make sure to apply a tiny dab of anti-seize compound to the threads, for easier removal the next time.

azmntman said:
He's probably right but anything that unscrews on one of my BP rifles gets cleaned everytime :surrender:

Breach plug included, drum? I have one in a in a gun I put together in ”˜94 that’s never been out. And several guns that the drums have never been removed. I don’t pull a liner unless I have to.

no plug or drum. Like I said he's probably right :surrender: I do my thing my way and still have all my digits :grin: I am also a cleaner of the "clean out screw" that isnt. They come out NP if ya do it every time and it makes dribbling powder after dry ball MUCH easier then the nipple method :idunno:

yup, that's what I expected, two answers, 2.5 options.....
[/quote]
Two answers gives you a choice, pick the one that works for you. My vent liners are in permanent. Clean your barrel well and then make sure you put on a favorite rust inhibiter.
Flintlocklar :wink:

Always left it in unless it needs to come out. Seems to have worked out thus far.

Do you take your lock apart every time too? I don't think I've ever taken mine apart once the builds are completed. Same with the patch box, toe plate, and butt plate

Since I can, I do. I bilge clean my GPR barrel in a five gallon bucket. So I remove the liner, it allows more water flow in and more crud out, when pumping the rod up and down, especially in that patented breech. When it is dried, I lube the threads and put it back in the barrel. DANNY

I don't shoot flint at this time but when I do I would take it out occasionally. People also say don't remove the nipple when cleaning but when they finally have to replace it, sometimes it won't come out because it is frozen in place. I remove the nipple about every 2nd or 3rd time cleaning.

The drum is an item that shouldn't have to be replaced and the way some M'Ls are like on the CVAs, they are not designed to be removed and would be difficult to remove and more difficult to put back right. I also remove the clean out screw (or whatever you want to call it) in the drum and lube and replace.

Col. Batguano said:
Do you take your lock apart every time too? I don't think I've ever taken mine apart once the builds are completed. Same with the patch box, toe plate, and butt plate

Lock yes but rarely, others no. Liner, nipple clean out screw will get stuck if not cleaned due to corrosion. Thats my theory anyway so I act on it :idunno:

I do take my lock off and clean but I don't take it apart. Dry and oil or grease. I do use wd-40 on my locks to displace any water hiding behind the bridal.

If I am hunting with it next time I use it, I remove and clean with alcohol. I put it back in when I am ready to load the gun for hunting. I use a few alcohol moistened patches to clean the bore and patent breech. Once I know every bit of oil is out of the bore, I put the flash hole back in.

Whenever a touch hole liner is talked about, the Chamber's White Lightnin' is almost always mentioned. It is one of the top recommended touch hole liners offered for fast reliable ignition of our flintlock guns.

Note: The final step of the White Lightnin' installation is to file off the slotted part of the liner to make the liner flush with the outside of the barrel. In short, Jim Chambers designed his touch hole liner so that after installation, it is not to be removed.

Some touch hole liners use a slotted end or an Allen head for installation. Just because those liners can be removed doesn't mean that they need to be removed. Little positive gain is obtained over a wipe with a pipe cleaner or dental brush pick by removing a touch hole liner. The drawback to frequent removal of the touch hole liner is wear on the threads in the barrel.

In my experience, I have no need to remove a touch hole liner except in the case of the touch hole burning out and becoming so oversize that accuracy falls off and 3f powder will auto prime the pan.

I do believe that the nipple on a percussion capped gun can and should be removed for cleaning. A nipple should not be tightened so tightly that the threads in the nipple seat are stressed. The anti seize or whatever lubricant will protect the threads from fouling. The drum should not be removed either. I do not recommend removing the "clean out" screw. The "clean out" screw is an artifact from manufacturing the breech plug or drum to ease the manufacture of the breech plug or drum. Yes, some drums have a lot of angles and use of then the boring access can become a "clean out" screw for better cleaning of the breech area. Leave the drum in place. Its just too difficult to get the nipple back in alignment with the hammer.

Now, if removal of the drum or touch hole liner makes you confident that you have cleaned your gun to the level of cleanliness that you want, then by all means do so. I am just expressing my 1 of 31,786 opinions no cleaning a muzzle loading firearm.

Latest posts

Back