• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question about cleaning patch size. As I've said on previous posts, I am a newbie to muzzleloading, everyone has been great to me since I joined this forum no matter how dumb some of my questions have been. Hat being said, I have a 50cal. Hawken, I've been told by several people that 3" cleaning patches was what i needed. I have those and a 50cal jag but, the patches wont even begin to fit without tearing. Am i doing something wrong?

Apparently others look at it differently than I do, and I do make my own patches for patching round balls, as I like square ones about an inch and a half square. But I do buy pillow ticking to make them. But I agree with Zonie, it's easier to buy 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 square patches that I know are 100% cotton and are not treated with anything to use for cleaning my muzzleloaders. I use patches made by T-C treated with number 13 bore cleaner for my first two patches and then two or three of the 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 white patches for finishing up. It takes one or two the following day to double check the condition of the bore. Hot soapy water pumped through the barrel seems to do away with having to use that many clean patches.
Squint

Aprox. 2"X2" is a versatile size for most rifles. Problems with using some patches usually can be credited/blamed on the wrong jag size. Too large a jag will not let the patch down easily. The jag does not do the cleaning, the patch does. A loose fit going down is OK. At the bottom, as you pull back/up the cloth bunches up into the rifling grooves and pulls the gunk with it. Ramrods must have a narrow area right above the jag (called a rebate) to allow excess cloth the gather. My cleaning patches are made from all cotton baby blanket flannel bought at Walmart. Color isn't important. I buy what is on sale. Using scissors, by eyeball, I cut into aprox. 2" squares. Works for me. Only been doing it that way for about 50 years. Don't sweat getting the perzact size.

I have a question about cleaning patch size.
When I am home and not at the range, I just use Bounty paper towel, to clean. 1 sheet of towel makes lots of patches. I sometimes don't even cut them, just tear off a chunk. Experiment with sizes and see what works best for you and your equipment. My 50 cal Hawken likes 2/1/4".
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

I make my cleaning patches from 100% cotton T-shirts or the 100 % cotton flannel shirts. I steal my wife's cutting mat and roller fabric cutter and in a few minutes I have a t-shirt cut into enough patches to fill a sandwich bag or two. I can also make them different sizes depending on the caliber gun I'm cleaning. I can't use a 2" square patch to clean my 32 but that size works fine for a 50 or larger, so I usually cut some for small calibers and some for larger calibers. There is no expense and I recycle the shirts for something useful.

I am lazy I guess.
I just buy a bag of 1K 2.5" round cotton patches, when it gets low, buy another bag. I keep some on the bench and some in my shootin' box.
I ran out of old T shirts pretty fast, and the wife told me (emphatically) to leave her side of the closet alone........

A bag of 1,000 lasts a long time you do not have to cut them up..
My old T shirts are used as rags.
For those that cut their own from t-shirts - how many patches do you get from a t-shirt?
And just curious - do you wash your used patches? (I don't - the mess goes in the trash)

I just don't have that many old t-shirts. I buy a 3 pack of t-shirts every 3 or 5 years. I won't wear a t=shirt in summer here in Texas - just too dang hot. A very loose cotton short sleeve shirt keeps me cool.
I buy a 12 pack of white or red shop towels every few years for the gun bench(s). I do throw a batch of them in the washing machine every once in while. (When the wife ain't lookin of course)

For those that cut their own from t-shirts - how many patches do you get from a t-shirt?
And just curious - do you wash your used patches? (I don't - the mess goes in the trash)

I'd estimate around 300. The real question is how many does it take to clean your gun? I have recycled patches when in the field and my supply is limited but at home the chance of running out is null, there is always something I can use. I also wipe between every shot.

If I ever run out, I can buy a bag of T-shirts from the local thrift store for a dollar, makes a great source for shop rags too, but I usually buy shop towels.

You definitely have my sympathy with the Texas summer heat.

I just don't have that many old t-shirts. I buy a 3 pack of t-shirts every 3 or 5 years. I won't wear a t=shirt in summer here in Texas - just too dang hot. A very loose cotton short sleeve shirt keeps me cool.
I buy a 12 pack of white or red shop towels every few years for the gun bench(s). I do throw a batch of them in the washing machine every once in while. (When the wife ain't lookin of course)

It seems we all have our own priorities and I know I'm no different. I don't mind spending a few nickels for cleaning patches and only use them about six months out of the year, because six months up here is tough winter, so it's an off-again on-again thing. Yet, I experiment with every kind of home made lube I can think of, I suppose to save a few nickels. Then, I'll take the Mrs. out for dinner and will spend more than I have for patches and things for 20 years and think not too much of it. The priority issue still stands, I'm not above patching that old garden hose, and repair an old airline end. I'm surely not here to criticize how you clean your rifle. I think the main idea is to keep it clean when not in use. Most of us expect to bow out of here with a few nickels left, that hopefully the next generation, will use more wisely than what I did many times. I expect to be shooting right up to that time. I reasonably expect all my firearms, and some that are over 80 years old, to last until that time.
Squint

Latest posts

Back