• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning patch size for 20 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My question for today is what size (wide and thickness) cleaning patches do you all use for you 20 gauge smoothbores? Because I found out it can be too loose but also to thick.

Also what are your cleaning methods when shooting at the range and/or hunting?

I am still very new to this and it’s a lot to learn from trial and error.

Just get some 100% cotton flannel from your local fabric store, wash it, and then cut it into 2 inch strips. The fold each strip in half, cut, then fold that in half, cut, and then half again and cut. Eventually you'll end up with a stack of square pieces roughly 2" X 2" That will do nicely.

Hello everyone!

My question for today is what size (wide and thickness) cleaning patches do you all use for you 20 gauge smoothbores? Because I found out it can be too loose but also to thick.

Also what are your cleaning methods when shooting at the range and/or hunting?

I am still very new to this and it’s a lot to learn from trial and error.
I have found the best material for me to use is 100% cotton white tee shirt material that has been washed at least once.
MUST BE 100% COTTON.
I usually wet it with 70% Ispopropyl alcohol and wrap it around an undersized copper bore brush for cleaning the barrel.
I do not worry about cutting the patches in any kind of regular shapes. Triangles,
rectangles, squares, does not matter. It is not an exact science.

The price of pre-cut cleaning patches is absolute lunacy. $50 for a bag that might last me a year, made of $1 of fabric. It has been many years since I bought any. I have never run out of old T shirts. By the time I cut one up, I have another or three ready to be retired. The patches only need to be bigger than the Jag, a patch about 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" would more than cover the jag. If one layer is too loose, then I cut them in rectangles, and fold them in half for two layers. There's really no science to it. I take my T shirt, take my knife, and make a couple slits around the tail the width I want, and tear it upwards to towards the neck. I then use my knife to cut a number of patches from that, usually 1 to swab the bore, 2 to dry, and 1 to oil.

I use flannel bought at Walmart. One yard does a lot. Cut about two inches and rip.
You say your new, so I will ask you what you got to clean with
Most have a jag. Those fit close and clean well. But you can loose a patch. So you need a worm or patch screw.
These look like a cork screw and if you loose a patch can fetch it up.
Between the two you can clean with a worm well
Folks mentioned old t shirts, those work great, and I’ve cleaned a lot with old jeans.
With a worm I’ve used old bath towels, terry cloth is too thick on a jag

Back