• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning or Lack Thereof?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bunk A patched ball in my musket, HERESY! ;) (I am way to lazy for patched balls though... I've been spoiled by paper cartridges)

I will give this cleaning method a try though. On my way home from work I'll pick up some cheap veggie oil and try using that instead of water for my next cleaning.

Cleaning with soap, water, and a bit of ballistol is cheap, easy 'n fast. Do not rinse. Blow dry with compressed air. Run a dry patch through the bore. Put in the oven on warm (180F). Run a ballistol soaked patch down the bore and wipe down the outside of the barrel and you are good to go even here in sub tropical Florida.

It finally has rained twice since I originally posted this. One rifle that already had rust started in the bore (before I bought it) had some more growing in there. Also one pistol that had no corrosion otherwise started to barely rust a little. The pistol that I kept swabbed out had zero signs of anything in the bore. No soap and water so far. This test will get more interesting if the humidity ever increases.

The fact that we already know is that any powder residue will collect moisture and rust. What I am finding out is you don't need soap and water if you have something else that will let you swab out the residue. In my case its the water soluble synthetic cutting oil I use in my vertical mill. Swab with a few patches of that and a wipe down and done. Faster for me and it works.

I still have not tried urine. Was thinking more along the lines of panther piss.

Back