• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning new guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What do y'all use for degreasing and cleaning a new gun. I know that the Italian producers use a fairly sticky preservative in the bores. Is dishwasher soap and water good to go or do y'all use something else?

WD-40 will remove cosmoline, it removes new gun rust preservative just fine. If you want to be dolphin friendly, Simple Green is an effective degreaser.

Also can it be problematic to run patches in a bore with preservative. I am afraid of pushing all that gunk down towards the breech. Is my concern unfounded?

I have always bought used muzzloaders. I have a new GPR that I bought last year that I am just now getting around to mounting peep sights on and want to get it ready for the range. It sat in my closet for a year or so because the wedges that came with it did not fit and I could not get the barrel installed properly. I misplaced the wedges so I had to order new ones and I assumed that I would have to file them to fit but the new ones pushed right in. I think the originals were not tapered near the end for some reason.

If you spray a good amount of WD-40 in the bore and stick in a corner, muzzle down, for a couple of hours, most of the preservative will drain out. And no, I am not a WD-40 salesman. 😝

I always use a little gasoline in a clean soup can and the "pump" method to cut that stuff out of the bore and follow up with soapy water then denatured alcohol.
Ya gotta get all that stuff out, I don't stop till a white patch comes out white.

I have found that Ajax for dishes ( recommended for motorcycle mechanics since the 1950,s ) is a good grease and oil remover that doesn't effect your finish if it gets on the wooden parts. Brake cleaner, Acetone, or laquar thinner all remove the grease but can really damage your wood finishes.

Just cleaned a new Pedersoli P53, only thing that really removed the factory grease/rust was running patches with Windex with Vinegar.

Back