Cleaning mix?

Discussion in 'Shooting Accessories' started by Ralph Meisse, Apr 11, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2019 #81

McClura

McClura

McClura

32 Cal MLF Supporter

I have been shooting my muzzleloaders, flintlock rifles, flintlock pistols, shotgun, Zouave, and BP Cartridge for about 44 years. The gentleman I started shooting with and learned a lot from gave me some cleaner in a plastic bottle with the ingredients written on the bottle. I have been using it since. He would take a one gallon jug, empty, add 1 cup of Water Soluble Cutting oil like they use in lathes and band saws, 1 cup cup 409 cleaner, (he also said when he couldn't get 409, he would use Murphys Soap), 1 cup of Ammonia, and top it off with water. Shake well before use.
    I also use this same cleaner for patch lube with shooting competition. He called it Moose Milk.
    I have never had a muzzleloader rust. After cleaning I use Break Free in black bottle for barrel, lock and stocks. It is a synthetic type lube.
    I use it on all my guns, modern and primitive.
    Mike

ppg1949 likes this.
  2. Jun 7, 2019 #82

b737tvc

b737tvc

b737tvc

40 Cal.

3. Jun 7, 2019 #83

b737tvc

b737tvc

b737tvc

40 Cal.

yep works pretty good and she won't talk back to ya!!

4. Jun 7, 2019 #84

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

Simple green in the concentrated form is extremely strong. I work at a place that makes seats for Honda, we use the stuff all the time to clean up greasy fabric or whatever gets on the seats during production. I use it from time to time and yes it is about the strongest cleaning detergent that I know of. That being said, it is costly. So weigh it all up and decide for yourself. I’m all for a great cleaner, as long as it’s not too expensive. I make my own concoction, 1 part Murphy’s oil soap, 1 part denatured alcohol and 1 part ammonia. It works like a champ and doesn’t break the bank to make it. Yes water works great too...there are many ways/concoctions to clean your muzzle loader, sometimes it’s cool to experiment and try new things. I’d be intersted in knowing your results to compare with mine.

5. Jun 8, 2019 #85

45man

45man

45man

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Guilty! When young I got hold of home made wine and never got so sick in my life. I suppose it would have been a good solvent or penetrating oil!!!!

6. Jun 8, 2019 #86

shortstart

shortstart

shortstart

36 Cal.

Yeah, what’s worst, a rusty gun or a dry throat?

WRustyLane likes this.
  7. Jun 9, 2019 #87

goodshot

goodshot

goodshot

Pilgrim

i'm going to reply "rusty gun"
    we men have our priorities! ha!

8. Jun 14, 2019 #88

gharrod

gharrod

gharrod

32 Cal.

Simple Green and a Scotchbrite pad make short work of stripping oil-finished gun stocks, BTW. Rinse off with a hose and hang up and let dry for several days before applying new finish.
    =======================================================

9. Jun 14, 2019 #89

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Hard to beat M A P
    I carry a small bottle in my shooting box for cleaning when I won't be home that night.

10. Jun 14, 2019 #90

Crow-Feather

Crow-Feather

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.

For stripping stocks, I use Easy Off oven cleaner (fume free). Pulls out oil, and cleans without removing wood. Hang stock (wood only), spray on,15 minutes later, wash off. I wipe down with vinegar just to be sure everything is neutralized. A second coat might be needed.