• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Jag for.577 Enfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan flanery

40 Cal
Reaction score
i would appreciate some help on using the right size cleaning jag. I have a .577 enfield, and I bought a cleaning jag for a 1858 enfield. My problem is with a thin wet cotton patch it gets stuck in the barrel when I pull it back out. Have you guys had this problem or what caliber jag should I be using? Since the getting the jag stuck and taking forever to get it out I have been using a loop jag.

Where in the barrel does the patch get stuck?

You want a slightly small jag so the wet patch slides over the fouling and bunches up to pull the fouling out. If the jag is not getting caught at the breech in the flash channel, then I would say the jag is too large if it is tight on the entry stroke.

Where in the barrel does the patch get stuck?

You want a slightly small jag so the wet patch slides over the fouling and bunches up to pull the fouling out. If the jag is not getting caught at the breech in the flash channel, then I would say the jag is too large if it is tight on the entry stroke.

Grenadier, I pushed the rod all the way to the bottom of the barrel and when I started to pull it back it was stuck. I like to have never got it out.

Sounds like the patch is folding back on itself.

I turned my own jag out of a piece of brass. o/d .550 with several grooves and a ‘split’ down the length into which I put the patch, then twist the rod so that the patch wraps over itself thus ‘locking’ it onto the rod. I use a cotton (military 4x2) cut to 3x2. This gives me a touch fit throughout the length of the bore. Hope this helps?

Use short strokes up/down as you proceed toward the breech with a damp patch will help reduce getting stuck.

Grenadier, I pushed the rod all the way to the bottom of the barrel and when I started to pull it back it was stuck. I like to have never got it out.
that's gonna happen with a too tight jag and a too dry patch.....
Use a 58 cal jag, turn it down 10 thous or so in an electric drill using sandpaper or a file file.
Make sure you have a very damp if not a wet patch.
If the bore is really dirty - make several runs at it and don't go deep - but work your way down and rinse or replace the patch(s) as your go.
Take you time, not that hard to overcome with a little time and a little cleaner.
If you get one stuck like you did, pour some liquid down the bore and then work the rod up and down in short strokes. It will clear....

that's gonna happen with a too tight jag and a too dry patch.....
Use a 58 cal jag, turn it down 10 thous or so in an electric drill using sandpaper or a file file.
Make sure you have a very damp if not a wet patch.
If the bore is really dirty - make several runs at it and don't go deep - but work your way down and rinse or replace the patch(s) as your go.
Take you time, not that hard to overcome with a little time and a little cleaner.
If you get one stuck like you did, pour some liquid down the bore and then work the rod up and down in short strokes. It will clear....

Griz44, thanks for the advice. I’m glad we have this forum.

IF’N YOUS DOES get the patch stuck in a fouled bore that otherwise would not normally become enstuckered, as a last ditch emergency option you can swizzle some water down the bore and let it sit for a minute. Sometimes, it’s all it needs to dissolve the crud keeping the jag n’ patch planted in its spot. When removing, make sure the surface you are above isn’t so important, as it can gush forth black enfouled water.

Back