• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning in the field

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clb_410

32 Cal
Reaction score
I will be heading to a friend's 4th of July get together he is calling "The Powdered Wig Party a celebration of early Americans and fight for freedom. "
We will be camping out in a field behind his house where he has a range set up. Of course I want to bring along my (new to me) kentucky. However, again we will be camping in a field behind his house. I know I need to clean thoroughly ASAP. Is there a way to clean it where it will be "good enough" until I get home to really clean( later the next day) or should I not bother to bring at all? I don't want to ask if there is a spot there I can disappear for couple hours while I clean my rifle but make a mess. Could I just use bore blaster? Or run soapy patches followed by wet patches followed by dry until all patches are clean and dry?
I am still new and learning. If this is an obvious answer( leave it home) or if already a topic in another thread,please direct me there. Thank you in advance.

You need a wiping stick. An historic one or a stainless steel one, both work fine.
You can plug your touch hole or fit a gasket over your nipple.
Fill bore with plain water. Or you can add a touch of soap.
It can be cold or warm.
Fill the bore, dump,repeat. A few times
Using dry patches dry the bore
Any oil, or grease will protect your barrel when dry.
Wipe your lock down, dry and grease or oil
My field kit, that’s also my home kit
F3DB0A75-6458-4E4B-837F-CECDEC2CD461.jpeg

How do you clean your gun at home? As long as you have water, maybe a touch of soap (soap for sure if using Pyrodex), a cleaning jag, a little cleaning patch material and a way to dry and lube your bore you should be good to go. Again, how would you clean it if you were home?

Same way as in the field
My only difference is I don’t ever dissemble a lock in the field, too much danger of loosing a screw, where as I will take locks apart every few shooting sessions at home.
I generally use water warmed to a point it’s uncomfortable to keep my fingers in it. And I’ll use tow often instead of patches on my smoothbores. I’m nervous that tow might not get in to rifle gloves well
If you go on you tube Stillwater woods craft sight and Townsend’s both have good videos on gun cleaning in the field
250A4C17-6A83-444C-A00D-EF0B75677981.png
F71C04BA-EF50-4D12-8346-360E337D971E.png

Since I am just starting out and learning I don't have an exact method yet but..
I have been removing sideplate,putting it in soapy warm water,scrubbing with brush drying with clean patch and setting aside.
Pouring warm soapy water down barrel with teapot,using brush on ramrod up and down few times,dumping water,more soapy warm water down with mop tip a few times,then a dry patch a few times until clean,then more dry patch until they come out dry,then smear bore butter on patch and down barrel a few times .
Then more dry patches until those come out fairly clean/dry. Though last time I didn't use it. I did spray wd-40 then patches until dry.. wipe down everything with dry rag.It takes awhile and space.but now that you mention it,I guess it really wouldn't be a big deal .

Same way as in the field
My only difference is I don’t ever dissemble a lock in the field, too much danger of loosing a screw, where as I will take locks apart every few shooting sessions at home.
I generally use water warmed to a point it’s uncomfortable to keep my fingers in it. And I’ll use tow often instead of patches on my smoothbores. I’m nervous that tow might not get in to rifle gloves well
If you go on you tube Stillwater woods craft sight and Townsend’s both have good videos on gun cleaning in the field View attachment 147315View attachment 147316
Thank you. I will check it out.

I was actually asking the OP, but you provided a more than complete how to post.
Oh...sorry..I thought you were asking me..lol. umm.. I am still trying to figure out a method and was concerned I wouldn't be able to clean it in the field. Now you know my newbie method. 😊

Just pick a method and try it at home before you go camping. I do not advise removing any small parts from your gun in the field if you are prone to dropping things or don’t have spares. Learned years ago the hard way. Don’t overthink things. Again practice cleaning at home with what you plan to carry in the field. Then if find you really don’t need an item, leave it home. If you need something you didn’t plan to carry, add it to your kit. Everything should fit in the palm of your hand…..

Just pick a method and try it at home before you go camping. I do not advise removing any small parts from your gun in the field if you are prone to dropping things or don’t have spares. Learned years ago the hard way. Don’t overthink things. Again practice cleaning at home with what you plan to carry in the field. Then if find you really don’t need an item, leave it home. If you need something you didn’t plan to carry, add it to your kit. Everything should fit in the palm of your hand…..
Thank you. Sounds easy enough. That was my concern if I have to completely take it apart like I always do or can I get away with just giving it a good rinse and wipe down then a thorough clean the next day. So far the more I chat with you all it sounds like it can be and is done. I will go through my kit and figure it out. Thank you

Thank you. Sounds easy enough. That was my concern if I have to completely take it apart like I always do or can I get away with just giving it a good rinse and wipe down then a thorough clean the next day. So far the more I chat with you all it sounds like it can be and is done. I will go through my kit and figure it out. Thank you
Concentrate on getting the bore and the nipple area clean. Leave powder residue in the bore and you will invite moisture and corrosion that will lead performance problems. Leave crud in the nipple or fire channel, same issues.

I carry about a dozen premade, presaturated cleaning patches. Usually TC's no. 13 or 17, but have also tried Remington MZ bore cleaner (which smells like rubbing alcohol). Wipe with 3 or 4 and follow with 2 dry. This removes most of the fowling.

Just what has worked for me, and easy to carry in my bag. One pot of 100 is like $9 and lasts me 2 years.

I always thoroughly clean my guns after shooting, and have never had issues. But if I went shooting, couldn't thoroughly clean it but knew I could get to them at home the next day, I would just run a bunch of cleaning patches with moose milk on them up and down the barrel and wipe the rest of the gun off and dry it. IMO, that's plenty good enough for a day or so.

I always thoroughly clean my guns after shooting, and have never had issues. But if I went shooting, couldn't thoroughly clean it but knew I could get to them at home the next day, I would just run a bunch of cleaning patches with moose milk on them up and down the barrel and wipe the rest of the gun off and dry it. IMO, that's plenty good enough for a day or so.
Perfect thank you

Back