• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning help - please!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your brush will not get stuck if you twist the brush to the right(like you're tightening the threads) 1 to 2 turns before you pull it out, this releases the bristles. I've been doing it like this for decades and haven't got one stuck yet. Now pulling a stuck ball is a whole 'nuther story. 😃 hth

Your brush will not get stuck if you twist the brush to the right(like you're tightening the threads) 1 to 2 turns before you pull it out, this releases the bristles. I've been doing it like this for decades and haven't got one stuck yet. Now pulling a stuck ball is a whole 'nuther story. 😃 hth
This right here!

Thanks guys - For a little backstory: I have shot Hornady .54 cal Great Plains bullets for years with no problem. But they quit making them some years ago, and I have bought a number of "old stock" bullets for the past five years or so. These bullets were pre-lubed, but the lube was so old and dried-out that I washed/ brushed it out and used bore-butter for a bullet lube - which clearly was a mistake. I have gone through a couple hundred patches - and have used Lucas Bore Solvent with a brush - but I am still getting the gray streaks from lead on the patches. I am sure a couple hundred more will do the trick! I haven't shot round-balls from this gun (TC Hawken) but might have to give them a try! Thanks for your advice!

For what it’s worth, this stuff is excellent at removing lead from a barrel. I used it a lot when I shot BPCR and have used it several times in my muzzleloaders after shooting connicals. It really does the job. All you need is a tight patch wetted with this stuff. Montana Xtreme cowboy blend. Lasts a long time. Hornady Great Plains bullets leave a boat load of lead in my renegade just from seating. Another reason conicals will lead a barrel is too loose of a fit, unprotected base, poor lube or not enough lube. If the conicals fit, you may want to throw an OP was in there, if you aren’t already doing so.

Attachments

• 605C79F0-FDCE-4AE1-AA78-080D4CDB7691.jpeg
    605C79F0-FDCE-4AE1-AA78-080D4CDB7691.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
Thanks guys - For a little backstory: I have shot Hornady .54 cal Great Plains bullets for years with no problem. But they quit making them some years ago, and I have bought a number of "old stock" bullets for the past five years or so. These bullets were pre-lubed, but the lube was so old and dried-out that I washed/ brushed it out and used bore-butter for a bullet lube - which clearly was a mistake. I have gone through a couple hundred patches - and have used Lucas Bore Solvent with a brush - but I am still getting the gray streaks from lead on the patches. I am sure a couple hundred more will do the trick! I haven't shot round-balls from this gun (TC Hawken) but might have to give them a try! Thanks for your advice!
Remember when I said use boiling water?
The thinnest coating of bullet lube down there will prevent chemicals from doing their job.
If you use enough boiled water the different expansion rates between steel and lead has the two separate.

It's so freaking simple it's impossible to convince some. " Gotta buy this stuff, " " you need these", " scrub brother" 🤣
Put the bloody kettle on!

Just a follow up about using the bronze wool scrubbing pad method. I shot 45acp cast bullets in my 1917 Colt and noticed some leading in the barrel. Unfortunately I didn’t take any before pictures but a few strands of the scrubbing pad wrapped around an old brush removed all the leading in about 10 pases.

I have shot conicals, and they work, but yes, there is always the possibility of lead fouling... though with a properly seasoned bore and properly lubed projectiles this is seldom an issue. These days I mostly shoot patched round balls and sabotted pistol bullets in most of my muzzleloaders. I haven't noticed any lead fouling.

Clean with hot soapy water... I recommend Murphy's Oil Soap... and shoot patched round balls. This will get the lead out eventually.

Latest posts

Back