• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning gun with steam

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FWIW ... When you pay a visit to the website of Davide Pedersoli you will find their online magazine... In the latest issue they discribe a new steam cleaner they developed for cleaning black powder arms... gimmick or usefull tool? I dunno ... :idunno: :shocked2:

Sounds a little dangerous. Steam is carries 6 times the heat of boiling water, it'll scald you in a blink. If hot water will cause flash rusting, steam will do it so much faster. Maybe if I had a patent breech that was a real booger to clean I'd make a long jetter to blast that clean, but again hot water would get 'r done.

I use a hand held steam cleaner to clean my locks. Can't be beat, in my opinion. Every thing else, soap and water. :thumbsup:

I once toyed with the idea of making a copper tube ti blast the innards of my MLs with water to clean them quickly, but decided against that.

Steam is not needed. Cool water dipped from the creek with a tin cup works fine.

CS

CrackStock said:
I once toyed with the idea of making a copper tube ti blast the innards of my MLs with water to clean them quickly, but decided against that.

Steam is not needed. Cool water dipped from the creek with a tin cup works fine.

CS

Yeah, me too! Just haven't gotten my O2it yet. Figured it might help blast it back in the breech. But, how oh how would I be able to tell how good it was doing?

I have to give you credit....very cleaver...I am
sure this works well for you and that is all that
counts...Your use of these items to accomplish a
goal is superb... :thumbsup: Maybe a bit messy to
operate indoors but I am sure that you have mastered that as well....Very good...

Wulf

Semisane said:
How fitting that this us used on a "muzzleloader" with a scope. :shake:

Why do people bother getting a muzzleloader, then spend all their time trying to modernize every aspect of using it. From carbide "flints", to scopes, steam cleaning? Why not just take it to the dry cleaners? :haha:

Some of the things people do remind me of the guys who buy a Model A Ford, drop a big V-8 in it, put small wheels on the front and jack it way up in the back. Some of you guys are "Hot Rod Muzzleloaders".

Last edited by a moderator:
Well guys, you'll get no apologies from me for that scoped New Englander, though it's in someone else's hands now.

I have three TC Renegades with 4X scopes on them (.45, .50 & .54). I also have two TC Hawkens caplocks (.50 & .58), a Great Plains .54 flintlock, and a .32 Pedersoli Frontier flintlock which all wear peep sights.

I like them all and there's nothing wrong in my book in driving a modified Model A now and then if you enjoy it.

As for the flush rod. It makes quick work of cleaning when I return from the range with three or four dirty guns. I do it outside of course, with the gun hanging on the fence as shown in the picture. Not messy at all.

14.jpg

It's your muzzleloader you can put a scope on it if that is what you want . And also I like the flush rod , seems like it would be good for a pinned barrel since you dont just pull a wedge to remove the barrel................watch yer top knot..............

Gonna have to try that cleaning method one of my pinned barrels...

As for a scoped ML I know several hunters(old age is a PIA!) who are getting a little distance challenged that have used modern scopes to help turn that football sized group into a baseball sized one. I can't make myself use a modern scope on mine but to each his own, don't blame them myself.
When I recently found myself a part of that group I bought a 32" brass reproduction 6 power scope to have mounted on either my Kentucky or a 32" GM 54 Hawken drop-in when I find one I can afford....

I think I will stick to cold water and maybe a bit of alcohol to finish up then luibe with gun oil,never been much for all the modern new "gotta have" crappola

And this type of scope is definately out of the "scope" of the forums topic allowance, I don't have to ask about that one.Use them if you choose just don't post pics or talk about them here, I think the goal is still to "Keep Tradition Alive" though may be wrong about that.

And this type of scope is definately out of the "scope" of the forums topic allowance, I don't have to ask about that one.Use them if you choose just don't post pics or talk about them here, I think the goal is still to "Keep Tradition Alive" though may be wrong about that.

Well tg, that was the only picture I had of the flush rod in action. I apologize, and hope that picture didn't do irreparable harm to you psyche. :surrender:

Hey Semi, if we were required in our bodies to be PC/HC we'd all be dead. Folks just didn't live so long back in the day. My old eyes are failing too so if the scope helps you then have at it. :thumbsup:

What if I used the steam cleaner AND the foaming bore cleanser? I'm thinking my barrel would be so clean bullseyes would jump in front of my bullets, deer would would walk up to me with their hands (hooves) in the air, and beautiful women would be beating down my door.

This is usually the part where I wake up. :( Bill

Buford said:
It's your muzzleloader you can put a scope on it if that is what you want . And also I like the flush rod , seems like it would be good for a pinned barrel since you dont just pull a wedge to remove the barrel................watch yer top knot..............

I just wish there were scopes available that are HC. If anyone has info on the brass tube scopes that traverses the entire barrel length, please let me know, I would like to have one.....Watch your'un

Back