• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning cannons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
With long and short arms you can easily dismount a barrel from the stock, plunk them in a bucket of water and pump away to clean them. With cannons and their barrels barrels heavier than say 100 pounds this just isn't practical. How to you make sure they get a thorough cleaning? Just do your best with the swab and do your best?

That's the beauty of having a crew to help.

A garden hose with some sort of jet nozzle should reach to the breach with plenty of cleaning power.

You swab the barrel with soapy water just as with a rifle. Then you lift up on the trail and empty out the soapy water. Depending on how big your gun is, you may need help. With the muzzle pointed downward, you use a hose to rinse out the bore. Then you dry and oil it. Don't forget to wipe off the touch hole and wash out the swab. Empty your buckets and, unless you have run your cannon through mud, you are through. If there is mud on the cannon, it will need to be washed off. Check the paint for chips and repair if necessary. Then cover and store. Of course, you must not forget the limber if you have one.

It's also very important, when the water in the barrel is nice and black and sulphurous, to push the mop in hard, shout 'thar she blows' and send a fountain of dirty, smelly water up out of the touch hole and all over the otherwise distracted gun captain. Try it, you know you want to....

I use a garden hose in the yard and a ramner with brillow pads glued on it after i got it scrubbed i swab itt down with some kind of cooking oil with cylender hone then a dry rag swab wipe never seen any rust but i live bry climate

Latest posts

Back