• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning brushes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadDart

45 Cal.
Reaction score
When I started my .40 build, I ordered some cleaning supplies from muzzle-loaders.com. Part of the order was two .40 caliber brass brushes. After shooting it for the first time yesterday afternoon I started cleaning it, opened one of my new brushes, and put it on the rod. The brush slid in the barrel with no resistance, opened the second one, same thing. So this am I went to their website and opened a chat asking about the brushes. At first I was told they were designed small for "heavy" fouling. Then I pointed out that they slid in the bore with no resistance, this time I was told they could be used for cleaning "around" the barrel. I just closed the page and will move on to another vendor.

So, who's brushes are you using,?

Thanks, Justin

I've noticed this too in other calibers and some that pulled apart from the bristles from the threaded center. Everything seems to be getting more cheaply made. I never bothered to look at manufacturer because I go threw so many. I just grab a few of whatever brand is on the shelf, guess I better start taking notes.

I must admit…for muzzleloaders, I don’t really use brushes. I use cleaning jags. I guess I’ve used jags for so long, thought never occurred to me to even use brushes on anything but my modern unmentionables...and for a lot of them, I’ve started using a bore snake…

You are lucky there was no resistance. Most people who push a brass bristle brush down a muzzleloader have a very hard time getting it back out! If you need a brush, nylon is the way to go, but really, a jag and patches and maybe a breech face scraper should be all you need.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Getting one stuck from pulling apart is really a pain unless you're set up to fix it.
Happened to me in 2009 with my 16" twist .40 bore Great Plains Rifle. Got it out with a four foot length of 3/8" brass heat exchanger tubing.
Best excuse for paper patching that I ever did see.
.40 PP Adjustable 1.jpg

😜

My opinion is cleaning brushes have no place in a muzzleloading barrel, learnt the hard way....

Back