• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Between Shots with a Shotgun Muzzleloader.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have accepted an invitation to let a bunch of young men shoot my English Sporting Shotgun at clays. I will be loading the gun for them. The SHOTGUNNING with blackpowder is quite new to me; however, I am an old hand at rifle muzzleloading. I know how to load the ML, just don't how many shots I can expect to take before cleaning it. Would appreciate any input.

Depends on your loading components. I use spit lubed TOW over powder and shot. I can shoot for infinity without swabbing. If you use cards and wads n such maybe every few shots. If you use something lubed maybe more.

This is a 12 Ga. Basically the Skychief formula thus: Powder, white over shot wad, 13 ga nitro wad(fits, but goes down the barrel easy), shot, white overshot wad, and olive oiled fiber wad.

With my gun loaded with the same load I get many shots (>12) with no issues. I just seldom shoot more than a dozen shots out hunting so I don’t know where the limit may be. YMMV

I dont clean between shots. However, my wads fit tight and clean as I am loading. I use a lubed wad, some I know simply soak them in water prior to loading.

Fleener

I shot over 100 crows the day this photo was taken.
I used a breech loader in tandem to a muzzleloader.
I had about 40 vials of powder and the same for shot.
I think I shot the lot but didn't clean once.
I did use plenty of lube regularly.

Attachments

• 20211125_113311.jpg
    20211125_113311.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Another member from here was talking about sheeps wool as tow. It is not flamable. I now live in southeast Arizona. Shooting a smoothbore will not cause
fires in the desert. Remember this if you shoot in a dry spell. The wool has Lanolin in the raw state.

I went duck hunting a few weeks ago and then again today. Last time I shot 20 shots without swabbing and it loaded the same every time. 80 gr real black, nitro card, greased 1/2 inch thick wad, 1 ¼Oz steel shot and over shot card. Pedersoli 12 ga sxs.

I never swabbed a smoothbore gun until cleaning time arrived. Nothing seemed to change from shot to shot to make me even think about it.

When I was patterning my gun for turkey, I didn’t use the waxed fiber wads and found subsequent shots to be incredibly hard to load. Since then, I’ve used the waxed fiber wads and that makes loading manageable indefinitely.

Back