• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning between rounds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't take me too long to figure out that the damp patch was the better choice. I do have to watch so that I am not pushing so much fouling down the barrel and not out that I cause failure to fires. I hope that @45man passes on our recommendation that his friend learns to use a damp patch. Really a better choice than Dutch Schoultz's dry patch. The dry patch can work, but the bore must be wiped with a damp patch and then followed with a dry wiping patch before loading the ball with a dry patch.

Okay, I've been re-thinking how I do things. I think I was using a jag and a fairly tight patch for fear the patch might slip off and get lost in the bore, those using a "loose patch", what attachment do you use? A slotted tip? Thanks.

Deer Popcorn GIF
LMAO

A
I am new to muzzle loading and have a tc renegade 50 cal
I have triple 7 and pyrodex rs for powders. Will be shooting patched round balls,basically all ready to go to the range

When do you clean or how often while at the range..,.I am still learning and am gathering as much info as I can before I shoot it
At the range?? Between every shot.. hunting? When I'm done.. there's no need to hammer a ball down the pipe when passing a brush a couple times can prevent that.. at the range I have a routine I stick to so I never dry ball or double charge. The process starts with the bore brush on a rod just for that..

Okay, I've been re-thinking how I do things. I think I was using a jag and a fairly tight patch for fear the patch might slip off and get lost in the bore, those using a "loose patch", what attachment do you use? A slotted tip? Thanks.
Use a jag.

Use a patch the extends well past the jag. Use a patch this is not super tight. Use a damp patch, wet several and wring them out. When the patch goes down it is loose. The extra material is a larger diameter than over the tip of the jag. When you pull back it can not slip off because there is too much fabric to go past the jag. This does not work with a large diameter rod. To get around that I make my jags on 10x32TPI all thread. I leave the all thread a little long to give the patch some place to go. My favorite range rod is 5/16" diameter steel.

I make all of my jags to work that way with a GI cleaning patch for 30 cal. I buy patches in bulk, all the same.

The way to mess it up is to use a tight patch and to much liquid.

Use a jag.

Use a patch the extends well past the jag. Use a patch this is not super tight. Use a damp patch, wet several and wring them out. When the patch goes down it is loose. The extra material is a larger diameter than over the tip of the jag. When you pull back it can not slip off because there is too much fabric to go past the jag. This does not work with a large diameter rod. To get around that I make my jags on 10x32TPI all thread. I leave the all thread a little long to give the patch some place to go. My favorite range rod is 5/16" diameter steel.

I make all of my jags to work that way with a GI cleaning patch for 30 cal. I buy patches in bulk, all the same.

The way to mess it up is to use a tight patch and to much liquid.
I am a long way from expert but this is good advice. And to the OP, all I have used is T-7, 2f because it is what is available locally, it is working well for me and I am getting good accuracy in my percussions. 70 grains is good in 3 rifles. Ball or conical. I swipe between shots w the oversized patch [mentioned] lightly prelubed at home w avocado oil. I make a bunch at a time and keep them in a larger prescription bottle. It handles high temps well, has good lubricity for easy loading and breaks down fouling quite well. If you feel the 'crud' down at the breech, work the jag a bit there and you will feel it break up. I swipe because I am looking for consistent hunting loads. Some might think this is crazy, but I have found that if you pull the swipe out pretty fast so it pops like a cork, you won't need to pop a cap to clear the drum. The suction will take care of it. Works in my rifles and I don't like wasting caps the way things are. As mentioned, if you don't make your patches big enough to go past the jag, you will quickly learn what a patch puller is for. Good luck, SW

I am new to muzzle loading and have a tc renegade 50 cal
I have triple 7 and pyrodex rs for powders. Will be shooting patched round balls,basically all ready to go to the range

When do you clean or how often while at the range..,.I am still learning and am gathering as much info as I can before I shoot it
There is only one hard and fast rule when it comes to muzzleloading rifles. Each one is a law unto itself. Experienced shooters can speak in generalities only. The range is where rubber meets the road.

I use a standard brass swiping/loading jag on a stainless range rod or regular ramrod. [ 5/16" ?] and, as mentioned, make sure the patch is big enough to bunch up a bit behind the back shoulder of the jag when coming back up. Too thick of rod is a no-go for this. If the patch is too small to do this you will be getting out your patch puller. If it is tight in thickness going down it will be too tight trying to come out. If it is too big, too much will bunch up and you will have worse problems. Cotton tee shirt material seems to be about the right comp and thickness for me. 2"x 2" works well in my .50s with that set up. For practice, start on the small side w a puller handy and work up until you don't lose any patches. I learned most of this the hard way. I got greedy once w the "more is better" on my brain, made too big of patch, and it was a real bugger getting it out. Others have covered this, and this method pulls out more crud than it pushes in. I don't think a slotted end will really accomplish this. From reading all the posts swearing that God sent Moses down the mount w such and such a swiping potion, I recommend anything you want except molasses, chlorine and rock salt for your swiping patch solution. Sam Hawkens and his brother did recommend that though. But they were selling rifles. SW

Back