• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning a pinned flintlock barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Yup! You can look at it that way too! That would be a "Once you get home" cleaning I would never disassemble the piece at a hunting camp or in the field. Guess I should have been more specific. Too much of a chance of loosing pins or a screw sitting in the woods somewhere.. If I was in a primitive trek hunting camp it would stay loaded only the prime would be changed in the morning. I use a small red feather to plug the touch hole over night and a tompion to keep out the moisture. Only a quick slosh out the barrel, brush and swab dry in the field if I fired during the day. Been doing it that way since the 70's but it is what works for the individual. Others mileage may differ!

The only right way to clean an ml is the way one's found that works and leaves a non rusted gun. I just plug and fill with water, others do other things. If a front stuffer complains about something being too much work he's arguing a paradox. As in 'wait, wait...its too much work and you shoot a flint lock????huh? :haha:

eaglesnester said:
Something I figured out about the paten breach is if you stick a 30 caliber nylon cleaning brush on a cleaning rod and wrap a flannel patch around it the brush and patch fit the breach perfect for a good clean out. The patch very rarely comes off the nylon brush. If it does just grab it with yur patch puller on the end of your range rod or ram rod. :thumbsup:

That was actually my point with the pressure clean method. I never had to go get an extra cleaning brush or take the extra time to rub it down into the patent breech. The pressure washing will shoot a stream of gunk out a good 6-feet or more and cleans it perfectly. First time I did that, I was standing next to a tent...was not a good choice. Be sure to point it well away from anything you don't want to turn black.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Spikebuck said:
kaintuck said:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/578/1/FLUSH-FLINT

love mine.........works great.

I also have one of these and really like it for my guns with a patent breech. Helps flush the crud right out of there.

Yep, me too. Quick and easy.

I use the clamp on adapter on my rifles and fowler. Its a bit small for my LLP. The drawback on mine is that the rubber washer that seals the clamp to the touch hole is small. Track seems to have addressed that issue.

You also have to be aware that if your touch hole liner is slotted for insertion and removal, there is a potential sealing gap. The rubber seal should cover the entire touch hole liner.

kaintuck said:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/578/1/FLUSH-FLINT

love mine.........works great.

oil lock and replace~ done.....

marc n tomtom

The flush kit works GREAT for me, too! I fill a coffee can with a Ballistol/water mixture; punch a hole in the lid and drop the weighted tube into the solution. When finished flushing, I keep the solution in a jar with lid to re-use again and again (probably good for 3 months if I shoot every couple of weeks). Dry bore thoroughly and lube with straight Ballistol.

A piece of soft silicone rubber to patch over the vent and clamp it in place. I would customize a form fitting wood block to cradle the other side of the stock to spread out the clamp force so as not to crush the stock.

If the rifle has a removable vent plug like a Lyman GPR, then solid steel bolt could seal the hole. Or a hollow fitting threaded in place with a tube attached.

I do not use the flush kit. I use a punch of the correct size and remove the pins and barrel from the stock for cleaning. I like to stick my barrel breach end into warm soapy water and pump water in and out of the touch hole with a jag and patch on my range rod. It only takes me a couple of minutes to remove the pins. It is no big deal.You do have to be careful that U do not damage the stock when removing the pins. I also remove the lock and clean the same way and inspect the lock recess in the stock and wipe clean of carbon if necessary.
With these smoke poles there are a thousand ways to skin the cat. Thats what makes em so interesting.

I do not think there is a best way to clean the barrel as long as it gets the job done.

I am with you however. I shoot at least once a week and have been pushing the pins out of my flintlock rifles since the mid 1970's. My rifles are not worse for wear. I think it is to each his own. Personally I think it is easier to do this then fool around with the tooth pick. Additionally for some reason it is harder for me to get things clean not removing the barrel. Either way it only takes a few minutes to clean a rifle.

Back