• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Morgan

62 Cal.
Reaction score
To be honest, I've been a slob when it comes to shooting unmentionables the last fifty years. Solvents, black stains on the clothing, having to wash hands 3 times to get 'em clean after shooting...I hate it so my "others" go until they get stiff all except for the "constant companions".

Recently, black powder arms entered into my life...specifically a .50 caliber Traditions Hunter flintlock rifle. I'm thinking, "My gawd these things get FILTHY" and they do...but getting them clean is a breeze I have found out. A bucket, some warm water , a squirt of Dawn, a couple of patches, a little WD40 and it's magic.

I'm a range operator and today was a quiet day and I was sitting around stalling about cleaning the rifle from the day before when I "bit the bullet" so to speak and decided to dive in. Got a bucket of water, put a shot of Dawn innit, broke down the rifle (jeez, that was easy!), took the flint out of the lock and somehow wound up with a previously unmentioned squirt bottle of Windex in my hand. What the heck. Gave the lock a shot and one down the bore just 'cuz. Grabbed a nylon brush and scrubbed the lock and the flash hole on the barrel. Gee, that knocked the crud right off! Grabbed the barrel and unscrewed the flash hole liner more for the experience than anything. Dropped the back end of the barrel into the soapy water, squirted some Windex on a patch and ran it to the bottom of the bore. Pulled the rod out a bit and started the pump. Lotsa bubbles and a quick cloud of black water then...nothing. No more black water squirting out of the flash hole. Huh. That was quick. Rinsed everything off with a hose, hit it all real good with the compressor hose, a patch with WD40 down the bore and a light film on the lock. I grabbed the flash hole liner, put a tiny bit of white lithium on the threads and screwed it in just snug. I put it all back together and thought "Dang, Woody. That was a snap! If only the smokeless toys were that easy!" It was actually shorter than typing this post.

I've got about two dozen rounds through the rifle in the last coupla days with only one misfire but I know what caused it. I've shot 200 grain .45acp bullets in sabots and 250 grain powdercoated lead R.E.A.L.s my buddy and BP mentor Mikey made for me hitting a 12x16 metal plate a lot more often than not and I'm getting really comfortable loading and shooting this new/old technology.

*click* flash! BOOM!! Heck yeah. This is FUN! :cool:

wm

What really works great is some water, just plain ol' water. Still easy, fast, and people have been doing it hundreds of years before cleaning agents or other gimmicks. I try to do things as closely possible to the way they were done in the time when flintlocks were king. Anyway congrats to the filthy world of rotten egg. Best to clean the guns in the living room while watching TV and share the experience with the family.

The cleaning is what delayed me getting into BP. Was intimidated by the thought. Now it's just routine and no big deal. We always build things up in our minds and prevent ourselves from trying new things. Glad you could overcome the hesitation and decided to try it. Shooting my "others" is a waste of ammo IMO and only for checking zero now and again. BP is solely for the enjoyment and that it is. I relish a trip to the range with my rockers. I dont even think about the cleaning after. It's part of the fun.

I may try the Windex thing.
I also just use dish soap and water. That's all. I found using thick sweatshirt material makes great cleaning patches. Usually four and its all clean. Then run a patch with motor oil down and it's good to go (well, the lock and stock get a good cleaning as well,,,) Very cheap but very effective.

I may get some beef for saying:

Disassemble the gun. Dunk lock and barrel in hot water and pump it. Take compressor blow gun and dry it up. Spray Brakleen in touch hole and over the lock. spray Ballistol in TH and all over the lock. Run a few ballistol patches and wipe barrel with a Rem oil cloth. Reassemble. Then wipe entire gun with presoaked Rem cloths. Sounds involved but it takes me 8 minutes in the garage.

I may get some beef for saying:

Disassemble the gun. Dunk lock and barrel in hot water and pump it. Take compressor blow gun and dry it up. Spray Brakleen in touch hole and over the lock. spray Ballistol in TH and all over the lock. Run a few ballistol patches and wipe barrel with a Rem oil cloth. Reassemble. Then wipe entire gun with presoaked Rem cloths. Sounds involved but it takes me 8 minutes in the garage.
Never a good idea to push the pins out of the stock every few days, eventually you will wear out pins, pin lugs and damage the wood.

I wish I could shoot every few days. I cant get out that often. I have always dabbed a bit of grease on the pins from the beginning and not for your reason. Because they are hard to remove if dry. Very hard sometimes.
If I retire and shoot that often I will keep you in mind.

You guys think too hard. My revolvers go straight in the dishwasher and that powdered washing stuff gets them sparkling clean. I set the dishwasher control for no heat in the drying cycle because the heat might set detergent stains in the bluing. Then a quick blow with my wifes hair dryer set on low heat and im good to go. I did try the clothes washing machine before but that clankety-clank-clank noise on the spin cycle was annoying when i was trying to take a nap and that was the only reason I didnt put it in the dryer afterwards! It sure was tempting though.... Anyway, see now thats whats wrong with the world, they dont make a dishwasher big enough to accept a rifle. If they did i'd be there!

All of this sounds easy, well, for half stocks, yes, it will work. Not as easy for full stock rifles. I remove the lock and use a toothpick to plug the vent. Pour some type of powder solvent into the barrel and let it soak while I clean the lock. Pour out the nastiness. Run dry patches, followed by a few wet patches. A few more dry patches. Wipe down the exterior of the barrel. Run a patch or two of preservative in the bore, reinstall the lock and done.

I use a TOW clamp-style tube fitting into a bucket of hot soapy water. Much more thorough to pump and rinse than to plug, swirl, and pour. My entire routine takes about 20 minutes, including waiting for the kettle to get hot.

As mentioned above, best done outdoors!

ADK Bigfoot

Have never in 50 plus years pushed pins out to remove barrel for cleaning not necessary. All rifles have no rust in barrel channel why take a chance of damaging stock.
Exactly, I guess people don't clean their guns while in the field as in camping, trekking or have you. I sure don't want missing pins or broken stock because I was cleaning it next to a fire.

Back