• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning a BP revolver. learned one way, what are some other methods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAM117

32 Cal
Reaction score
since im new to BP im still learning , i have a friend who has BP revolvers and this is what he has done for years no problem, but im just wondering longterm is this fine?

he takes it apart like u normally do then he just sprays the holy hell out out of with ballistol, then goes into cleaning it with a cloth, toothbrush and rod. hes never had a problem.
what are some other ways? and is that way fine?

"he takes it apart like u normally do then he just sprays the holy hell out out of with ballistol"

Profanity is not part of cleaning.

since im new to BP im still learning , i have a friend who has BP revolvers and this is what he has done for years no problem, but im just wondering longterm is this fine?

he takes it apart like u normally do then he just sprays the holy hell out out of with ballistol, then goes into cleaning it with a cloth, toothbrush and rod. hes never had a problem.
what are some other ways? and is that way fine?
If he is your friend, why don't you trust him to teach you right? At least until you've tried it half a dozen times and see a problem with it.

My way isn't exactly like his way but I'll give you something here way more valuable than a different way of cleaning a C&B pistol

There is NO BETTER way to loose friend who is trying to do you you a favor and help you than to have to listen to "I read on the internet..." two or three times" You'll soon on your own and depending on the help of internet people you don't know from Adam.

Especially if it was me helping.

I used the garden hose last time. Take the barrel and cylinder off my 1860 Army and flush it with garden hose.

Faucet on the sink would probably work too but I try to not clean guns in the kitchen.

I use vegetable oil. New to me, I’ve been using hot water, cold water, wd40, just about everything you could think of. I always used a good metal preservative (clp, Eezox, etc) so none of the methods I’ve tried has done damage to the guns but some were a huge pain in the tookus.
Vegetable oil is not. One patch with oil in the bore and a spritz of oil in the cylinder and on the rear of the cylinder, inside the frame, and let it set for five minutes, wipe with clean dry patches until they come clean, (sooner than you thought) spritz with Eezox and reload or put it away. 15 minutes or so is all it takes, about the same time you would spend on your 1911.

And yes, your friends method is fine.

There are plenty of good BP solvents on the market. I like "Blue Thunder".

I remove the grips, and cylinder. then place cylinder and gun in warm bucket of soapy water. barrel and cylinder get bore brushed, if bore leading is real bad it gets couple passes with a copper chore boy. Everything else gets scrubbed with a toothbrush or bronze tooth brush.
Once relatively clean I blow it off with compressed air and put it in a parts washer for final touch up.then hang on a wire to drip dry.
Once dry I reassemble and oil as necessary.

I used the garden hose last time. Take the barrel and cylinder off my 1860 Army and flush it with garden hose.

Faucet on the sink would probably work too but I try to not clean guns in the kitchen.

Especially if you are married!!

I use hot soapy water then spray with Ballistol or similar but for longterm storage, I clean thoroughly then, grips off, give the pistol a short bath in hot engine oil (previously unused).

Back