• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning a Barrel with a Threaded Breech Plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..., debreeching the barrel will eventually create its own issues...

Yes I've had to remove a breech plug about four times; four different specimens. Lands and grooves were not a problem even though the rifle and the three muskets were decades old. Regular removal can wear down those threads, causing gas seal problems. Encountered a fellow who regularly de-breeched his Italian Bess... started having gas seepage problems... he effectively demilled his musket into a wall hanger. 😶

LD

Only if one fails to grease the threads . . . .

I regularly remove the plugs . . . .and have zero gas leakage.

BUT . . . .I GREASE the threads!
Grease is irrelevant In this case. Its not wear of the threads. The plug is tight and indexes due to a crush fit either at the breech of the barrel, the end of the threads or a shoulder at the bore. Usually a combination of two or more of these. Patent breeches with their greater contact area are less prone to this. But routinely removing a breech plug is asking for “issues”. And its unnecessary. Its not intended to be a removable part. Unless there is a serious issue that requires it like the need to fresh a damaged bore.
Some patent breech reproductions, in the past at least, made in factories have the plugs installed by machine and the breech may break off leaving the threads in the barrel if removal is attempted. The early T/C “Hawken” was known for this. They did not fit the breech, IMO, the machine simply turned in the plug until it indexed And some were grossly over torqued.
BTW. I use STP as lube when fitting breeches.

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this or not, but I had a question about cleaning a barrel with a threaded breech plug. My method for cleaning barrels is to completely remove it from the rifle, stick the aft end into a sink full of hot soapy water, and then use the plunger method to pull the water up through the barrel.

I'm wondering though, on a barrel with a threaded breach plug, how do you make sure all fouling, water, oil, etc. is completed removed from in between the threads? It seems very easy for any kind of liquid to get trapped between the threads and then rust out.

The only solution I could think of was to heat the breech with a heat gun and hope that evaporated any residual water.

Is there a better way to do this, or is it really even a concern?

Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 126305

Leave that breech plug alone!
There is never a good to do that unless maybe you want to look at it every 20 years or so to verify that everything is okay.
A reputable maker will ensure that the plug and breech face of the barrel mate up perfectly with 100% contact area. And the threads should have a good
quality anti-seize applied to them.
Unfortunately, not everybody does a good job of that.
Running a side-looking bore scope like the ones you can get for your cell phone down to the breech area from the muzzle before your first shots, or even after, can tell you a lot.
I have never removed a plug and not had any problems.
No need to be OCD and remove the vent liner either.

Last edited:
I have a TC Seneca that I would put a new barrel on but scared to try and remove the breech plug. tried finding a breech plug but that is nearly impossible.

You should only remove a breach plug if you have the tools to do it safely. I can safely remove the breech on all my guns with very little effort, and i do it as often as once a year to grease and clean the threads. The specific tools you’ll need are bench blocks for the diameter of the barrel or octagon vice grips. The shims of the barrel bench blocks should always be made of aluminum, as it will not mare up the barrel. some use a wooden vise jig or rubber vise pad.

But in general if you don’t have appropriate tools to remove the plug i would not.

I've only removed a breech plug one time in over 56 years. It was to address damage in the breech. There's no other reason I can think of to remove a breech plug. Unnecessary removal is bad mojo.

It depends on how good you’re at removing it. Most people struggle with removing breach plugs its a rigorous affair, and therefore should not be removed. I remove mine to deep clean my guns (only for the guns i shoot very often). Because I’ve lobbed the breech with graphite, all i have to do is turn the breech plug with a crescent wrench and aluminum shim. If the breech plug is oxidized to the barrel because of 50+ years of fouling, then a more radical approach will be needed like soaking in CLP or heating with a torch until it turns.

I have a TC Seneca that I would put a new barrel on but scared to try and remove the breech plug. tried finding a breech plug but that is nearly impossible.

Send the barrel to Bobby Hoyt.
What is wrong with your current barrel?

IN 50 YEARS HAVE NEVER REMOVED BREECH PLUG, why need to remove?
I have pulled the breach plugs on all my flintlocks so I could replace the flash hole with a White Lightening flash hole , copper slip on the threads at assembly will stop water getting in the threads and make the plug easier to remove in the future , I also pull the breach plug of any rifle I buy ( except Parker Hale Enfield's never try to remove the breach on them , it is stupidly complicated 3 piece item ) just to ensure everything is all ok .

Back