• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning .36 Seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem. You have kinda stumbled into the "Lubrication War". It can get kinda heated, but basically it's a matter of non-petroleum vs. petroleum based lubrication/bore protectants. My position is that what has worked for me for more than thirty years (closer to forty actually) is good enough and I don't let my guns go for very long without being shot and cleaned, so Bore Butter is more of a ball and bullet lube than a bore protectant so far as it concerns me.

Ballistol is something that lots of folks use these days. I've heard good things, but haven't tried it... at least not yet.
Ohoh! you too, I used to start out saying twenty years ago and now its more like 40 years when I start reminiscing about my younger days. My brain is getting a bit foggy but seems I recall Ballistol(water base oil) came about around 1890-1900 or there abouts.

Ohoh! you too, I used to start out saying twenty years ago and now its more like 40 years when I start reminiscing about my younger days. My brain is getting a bit foggy but seems I recall Ballistol(water base oil) came about around 1890-1900 or there abouts.
Das is richtig, aber es war in Deutschland, Ich glaube! ;)

Ballistol was created in 1904 as an all-purpose cleaner, disinfectant, paint thinner, enema-assister, coffee creamer, sexual lubricant, salad dressing, chemical deicer, and potential substitute for blood. However, when it was realized through numerous deaths, injuries and accidents that it did none of these things well, it was eventually altered slightly to become the mineral oil based chemical that is known and loved today.

No problem. You have kinda stumbled into the "Lubrication War". It can get kinda heated, but basically it's a matter of non-petroleum vs. petroleum based lubrication/bore protectants. My position is that what has worked for me for more than thirty years (closer to forty actually) is good enough and I don't let my guns go for very long without being shot and cleaned, so Bore Butter is more of a ball and bullet lube than a bore protectant so far as it concerns me.

Ballistol is something that lots of folks use these days. I've heard good things, but haven't tried it... at least not yet.
“Try it, you’ll like it!” Ballistol is great stuff I think. Pros: It can be used on the metal, wood, great on leather, mixes with water, doesn’t seem to gum or dry-out. Is blackpowder, and environmentally friendly if that’s important, is non-toxic if ingested and can in a pinch clean an open wound.
Cons: Expensive, but isn’t everything especially over the last two+ years.

1904, adopted by the German military in 1905 through 1945.

Same same very hot water pumped through the barrel nipple removed, nothing added. Dry patch then if needed another patch with Muzzle Magic or equivalent bp solvent then another dry and an oily patch, I use G96. Nipple cleaned with a plixter then copper based anti seize grease before refitting. I have never needed a scraper as the original brass jag is egg shaped and reaches the bottom of the breech.

Yes boiling water dish soap pump in pump out. Alcohol patch followed with oiled patch. barrel is so hot it drys and the hot oil goes on smooth. .I am wondering how often should I remove lock and clean etc. I have a few tc side lockers

Okay so I just acquired a little .36 Seneca, most of my guns are flint and most of them have a traditional breech. I know with the TC and CVA they are different which now I have both.. with the TC do I need a rounded scraper for that style breech on that gun? Also how do you all go about cleaning your drums out on, well let me go one further how do you clean out your TC and how do you clean out your CVAs? I’m not exactly sure how the breeches are but I know they are different

I despise patent breeches with reduced powder chamber.
A hooked breech-plug without the reduced powder chamber is okay by me.

Last edited:
I’m going to try the hot water for sure, only reason I have stayed away from it was bc long time ago when I got my first muzzleloader I cleaned it with water and was so scared to get rust in it I didn’t use plan water anymore. I know the mixture I use obviously has water in it but just plan water worried me. But I’m going to give it a try again bc the warm water will definitely get rid of the salts
Beware (but don’t be too scared of) “flash rust.” I cleaned a couple of my rifles with hot water and all was going well until suddenly, they were rusty all over!!! Scared the bejeepers out of me at first, but was easily removed and rectified. It is an unpleasant feeling to be going along watching it get cleaner and cleaner, then you blink and it suddenly appears to be the start of your worst cleaning nightmare…😎lol

I think I have heard that cool or room temperature water cleans just as good (just maybe doesn’t evaporate as quickly) and is better at not flash-rusting. You also don’t burn your hands on your very hot barrel…

T/C breech plugs are recessed, basically have a hole in them they are not flat, at least the percussion ones, the T/C cleaning jags are designed to fit down into that recess, if you look at say a 54 cal jag the end of it is much smaller, as stated I use a bucket of soapy water, that's how I was showed 30 yrs ago and it always worked, I use hot water so it will evaporate quicker then coat the barrel with bore butter, I still have some from back in the day, never used oil in my barrels and never had one to rust, my .02

Latest posts

Back