• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

claybirds and clayrabbits with flintlock smoothbor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Ah, yes, it was one of those fabled Sunday evenings (labor day weekend). There was a crowd to watch. There was heckling, harrassment, hooting and hollering, both from the crowd and from the contestments. It was most enjoyable. I had the 20 gauge smoothbore barrel on the Fruewirth yeager. I had 7 straight hits when I got distracted and didn't pour shot for the 8th bird. The first miss. Then missed the 9th. then pulverized the tenth. I took all the money. Then we shot rabbits running from right to left. I missed the first and then pulverized the next four (we shot only five rabbits). Again I took the money. I really don't mean to brag, just sharing the fun. It would have been great fun even if someone had got 9 or ten hits on birds and five rabbits. The comraderie is so much a part of the fun.
God bless.
volatpluvia

There was heckling, harrassment, hooting and hollering, both from the crowd

I didn't know Zonie and Stumpkiller was there... :haha:

Really though, sounds like a fun day for all...

Thanks for sharing that with everyone... :thumbsup:

Hows about sharing some recipes on those birds & bunnies! Haven't found a good way to fry skeet that tenderizes them worth diddley!! :blah: :blah: :crackup: :crackup:

Musketman,
When you roll shards of clay and pitch in tobacco paper and light it for a smoke it is rather a choking experience! :eek: :eek: Doesn't taste good either! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :crackup: :crackup:
God bless.
volatpluvia

I assume that this shoot wasn't restricted to just Ml'ers but all guns? It had to be a ball to shoot well fi in front of a modern gun crowd as well. I will say that these guns are NOT handicaps for shooting close targets with their cyl. bores! :RO:

I ment smoked as in shot with a muzzleloader using real black powder... :winking: :haha:

Good shooting!- the results are normal, acually, with good shooting. Modern guns simply cannot compete in a muzzleloaders game - close range, standing & shooting, be it rifle or shotgun. - Way to go - 1 actual miss on the string of 10- very, good. 4 straight rabbits is soemthing of a feat in Sporting clays, I've heard - and with a 20 bore- WOW!

Dave K.
This was all ml flinters. Not even a capper in the crowd. When it comes to shotguns, once it is loaded primed and cocked it is the same as pulling the trigger on any other shotgun, except for the cloud of smoke. I love it! (giggle!) It is almost intoxicating.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Musketman,
:sorry: I just couldn't resist. I knew what you meant. :winking: :winking:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Musketman,
:sorry: I just couldn't resist. I knew what you meant. :winking: :winking:
God bless.
volatpluvia

OK, Hey, I'm suprised you didn't use your wheellock to hunt clay bunnies...

Musketman
It took me a moment to see what you were saying. I originally had three Getz barrels for the Der Schmiser. When I first put the wheellock together I borrowed the 20 gauge smoothbore barrel to put on it. I did take it to the same shoot 2 years ago and shot birds an rabbits with it. But I hit only one rabbit and two birds because I did not hav the ignition working very well. Then I decided the .60 rifled barrel would be the permanent barrel on the redhairedgal. So it is the yeager for birds and bunnies at this time. However, if I get around to building the wheelie I want in four gauge, look out! :shocking: :redthumb: :what:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Latest posts

Back