• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Clay Smith Trade Gun Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have the kit in hand and unboxed. This will be an early English model @1740’s. It’s a 20 ga - .62 with a 44” barrel and a Davis lock.
I have to admit, I’m a little intimidated at this time. This is my 4th build, but never one of this undertaking. There will be a lot of “first” times doing this one. But I’ll take my time and keep my chisels sharp. The serpent side plate is blank, sure to be a test for my engraving skills. Since I’ll be taking my time there won’t be any rapid updates.

I do have one item id like input on, the outside mainspring edge on the Davis lock is extremely ruff and scalloped. Never seen anything like it. Question, should I try to polish it out or contact Davis? There’s a photo of it several down.

Also received a Woodsrunner “Quaker” carving stock and Jim’s carving book from Kibler’s. So I have plenty to keep me busy for quite a while.

Attachments

• 0E2862CF-3101-46D7-A1F4-2DFF1FCCE337.jpeg
    0E2862CF-3101-46D7-A1F4-2DFF1FCCE337.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 2D555DD0-1158-4E43-BF3B-481F5FEFAB2C.jpeg
    2D555DD0-1158-4E43-BF3B-481F5FEFAB2C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • F4C8984D-FD2A-4A56-BAC8-A17D0C3A926D.jpeg
    F4C8984D-FD2A-4A56-BAC8-A17D0C3A926D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • AD5F0936-E109-4402-91F0-DC30EFF13602.jpeg
    AD5F0936-E109-4402-91F0-DC30EFF13602.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 5828BCE9-EEEF-4392-BCE6-579ED75D79A1.jpeg
    5828BCE9-EEEF-4392-BCE6-579ED75D79A1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 78BCBA39-697B-4A71-99F2-B5ADCD09FEB9.jpeg
    78BCBA39-697B-4A71-99F2-B5ADCD09FEB9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 02DBC556-7AFE-4B0D-9EE2-7CAC349C4594.jpeg
    02DBC556-7AFE-4B0D-9EE2-7CAC349C4594.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
After closer inspection the mainspring is not as bad as I thought. Looks terrible from the side, but it’s only grinding flash, very thin. I can clean it up easily. Still no excuse in it.

Attachments

• C7BC88D8-C3DB-4460-8E7C-D61E1E5D0FCE.jpeg
    C7BC88D8-C3DB-4460-8E7C-D61E1E5D0FCE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 70C66A1A-BCBE-4A98-A581-7244DF6090F6.jpeg
    70C66A1A-BCBE-4A98-A581-7244DF6090F6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • EBF024B7-9BD1-493A-AA57-2A47AC78FBD4.jpeg
    EBF024B7-9BD1-493A-AA57-2A47AC78FBD4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Looks awesome ! I'd certainly be calling Log Cabin about that spring . Liza , the owner , also owns RE Davis . At least get you a spare for free hopefully . Looks great ! Keep posting as you go ! I'm excited !

Thanks Rob, I can clean the spring up, but I’ll give them a call too.
A lot of times they won't refund or exchange anything if its touched or altered . My last lock had a casting flaw on it . I hope this doesn't start being a " regular " thing . I watched L&R locks go that way and their quality control has been very lacking unfortunately ... Eh , see what she says ....

A lot of times they won't refund or exchange anything if its touched or altered . My last lock had a casting flaw on it . I hope this doesn't start being a " regular " thing . I watched L&R locks go that way and their quality control has been very lacking unfortunately ... Eh , see what she says ....
Yep, I looked at the Davis site and they show the trade lock out of stock, which is what I had heard. Sure would like to have a spare spring. And I agree on L & R, I know they’ve put out some good locks, but they’re not very high on my list anymore.

I just bought that same lock yesterday at the Kalamazoo Living History Expo. I am going to use it on a NW trade gun I am going to build myself with a Petaconica stock that isn’t inlet for the lock.

What is the barrel Like? The one I got from Petaconica is a little thick and heavy. Not as heavy as some I have handled, but not as light as a Ken Netting one I saw at the show.

Yep, I looked at the Davis site and they show the trade lock out of stock, which is what I had heard. Sure would like to have a spare spring. And I agree on L & R, I know they’ve put out some good locks, but they’re not very high on my list anymore.
Yeah , I've been calling Log Cabin every Monday to see if they have their new batch of Early English locks done yet . Still waiting .... Darn shame with L&R because I use a lot of Quern Anne but I just go through the lock and clean them up , etc. Shame ....oh well

I just bought that same lock yesterday at the Kalamazoo Living History Expo. I am going to use it on a NW trade gun I am going to build myself with a Petaconica stock that isn’t inlet for the lock.

What is the barrel Like? The one I got from Petaconica is a little thick and heavy. Not as heavy as some I have handled, but not as light as a Ken Netting one I saw at the show.
Call Ken and order a barrel

Mine is a Rice, I don’t have much experience with different barrels, but it looks correct and well finished, not heavy at all.

Mine is a Rice, I don’t have much experience with different barrels, but it looks correct and well finished, not heavy at all.
Ah cool ! A Rice ! I've heard good things about them lately and saw their dimensions and they looked spot on . My buddy just bought a dozen of them .... I'm getting more excited ! ....you got that thing together yet ?! LOL :D

I ordered the Petaconica before I knew enough about these. It will still be fun to build. I plan to be trade gun rich, and cash poor as I later ordered a Type G from a builder. It will be much more correct.

Have the kit in hand and unboxed. This will be an early English model @1740’s. It’s a 20 ga - .62 with a 44” barrel and a Davis lock.
I have to admit, I’m a little intimidated at this time. This is my 4th build, but never one of this undertaking. There will be a lot of “first” times doing this one. But I’ll take my time and keep my chisels sharp. The serpent side plate is blank, sure to be a test for my engraving skills. Since I’ll be taking my time there won’t be any rapid updates.

I do have one item id like input on, the outside mainspring edge on the Davis lock is extremely ruff and scalloped. Never seen anything like it. Question, should I try to polish it out or contact Davis? There’s a photo of it several down.

Also received a Woodsrunner “Quaker” carving stock and Jim’s carving book from Kibler’s. So I have plenty to keep me busy for quite a while.
I have an extra serpent side plate you can have, send me your address.

Back