• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

clay pipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breaking the tips off of pipe stems just doesn’t make sense to me, if for no other reason than our forefathers didn’t live in a disposable, throwaway society like we do. Even though clay pipes were cheap, I have a hard time imagining them wasting pipes that way when they could get many more uses out of them.

16710674237712078701194439657874.jpg
16710674586131940583666484966920.jpg

Here are the clay pipes I used to buy from an old timer at Friendship. I think I remember his name as Parker. Dunno if that was first or last but do remember he was a fine person. I bought a lot of pipes from him over the years but could never afford his #1 quality pipes. He dug them up from a very secret location on the Ohio river where a factory used to be located that made these. According to him, these were indian trade pipes. I cannot date, help there would be appreciated. In the pic, the one laying sorta verticle has a face and is near #1 quality. The others are distorted. All except the broken pieces at the top are smokable and I did use a couple of these shown. Lotsa memories here.
View attachment 163612
so they all have reed stems?

Clay pipes were certainly a very popular trade item. Traditional styles are not hard to find. In addition to the sources noted above, I know Crazy Crow, Jas. Townsend, and Wandering Bull have them.

As @Loyalist Dave pointed out, the long-stemmed pipes do not travel well. They didn't travel well back in the day, either. Lots of broken pipes and pieces have been recovered from archaeological sites.

However, I suspect some efforts may have been made to salvage some of the broken pipes on the frontier. The image below may illustrate that point. The picture shows William Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, Viscount Milton (second from the left) and Dr. Walter Butler Cheadle (middle) with their Assiniboine/Metis guide, Louis Battenotte (second from the right), Mrs. Battenotte, and their son (far left). Milton and Cheadle traveled all of the way across Canada, from Quebec to the Pacific coast of British Columbia, in 1862-1863. Dr. Cheadle wrote a book about the adventure, entitled The North-West Passage by Land. This illustration is from that book:

View attachment 163165
If you look right dead-center in the foreground, you see this:

View attachment 163166
That looks like a common clay pipe bowl with a very short stem, inserted into an elongated secondary stem. This was probably a pretty simple "fix" for a clay pipe with a broken stem. Making a replacement stem of wood could be accomplished without much trouble. I know for a fact you can burn the pith out of a sumac sapling with a hot wire in just a few minutes. For shorter stems, you can just use a gimlet... No heat required. The gimlet will follow the path of least resistance, which would be the pith. One end of the wooden stick could then be reamed out a little larger to admit the clay pipe stem, and you're back in business.

In addition, the broken stems were not necessarily discarded. The jagged ends could be smoothed up, after which they were strung and used as beads. There is an interesting monograph on this topic right here: Clay Pipe-Stem Beads in North America. This practice likely began in the early 17th century and continued into the 19th, although it was evidently most common in the northeast. I made some stone pipes with wooden stems some years ago, but I don't smoke any more and don't have any clay pipes on hand, broken or not. However, I thought at one time I might try making some pipestem beads, and reasoned that surely a few of the new pipes, imported from overseas, must get broken in shipment. Retailers must find a few broken ones in their shipments, I thought. So, I contacted a couple of sutlers and asked if I could buy some broken pipestems. Nobody responded. I'm sure they thought I was nuts.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
most of the ones , clay pipes that I have found in the fields looking for arrow heads, have either GERMANY or GLASGOW, on the bowl when it was cast / poured into the mold. so I guess that that is where that they were imported from?

Somewhere packed in a box from a move 4 years ago I have a clay pipe I dug up in a rock lined privy pit in central OH. The house dates back to civil war time frame I believe.
if you Smoak it, be careful what end that you put into your mouth, it might not taste very good! LOL!

I bought one from smokingpipes.com a couple years ago.

Not sure if you’re a pipe smoker in every day life, but smoking a clay pipe is very different than briar or meerschaum. The bowl gets HOT and you need to hold them by the stem or in my case by a little nub on the bottom of the bowl.

The actual smoke itself is nice and cool though, and they’re a pleasant smoking experience.
Clay will do when nothing else is available....

after WW2 we kids used to cut a 6 inch long piece of grape vine that had dried up on the vine and light it up and we would smoak ythem, very harsh!

we also saw an add on the old black & white tv, where that AUTHAR GODFREY, Prolay before most of you guys time, in the the early 50's, where he showed off by breaking open a tea bag and smocking the tea in a pipe, well you know that the seed was sewn and we were all doing it. it would rely tear up / burn the hell out of your thought. well it didn't take long before our mothers found out that there tea bags were going down and she wasn't making tea. so that put an end to that, back to the grapevine. PS- in the summer we also smocked corn silk, the dried out brown dried out silk at the top / end. again very harsh! were we the only kids that did it after ww2? that is what we used the 1 cent clay pipes that we bought a the candy store. our mothers thought that we used them with IVORY SOAP to blow bubbles! now days the kids are gang bangers.

most of the ones , clay pipes that I have found in the fields looking for arrow heads, have either GERMANY or GLASGOW, on the bowl when it was cast / poured into the mold. so I guess that that is where that they were imported from?
Germany was and still is a major clay pipe maker and exporter. I find that some of the best 'smokable' clay pipes today are imported from Germany. Anyone can mold a clay pipe but to do it 'just right' and make a pipe that actually smokes like a pipe should takes talent and knowledge.

I was fortunate enough to have visited Williamsburg when I was about 12-13 yrs old, and remember the clay pipes there.

I found this one last summer in a central Mo. antique shop!

Attachments

• E4A4E366-6655-44BF-ABAC-1C264313B92B.jpeg
    E4A4E366-6655-44BF-ABAC-1C264313B92B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • CFFFE590-3F29-4344-A1A6-7A366167B6F3.jpeg
    CFFFE590-3F29-4344-A1A6-7A366167B6F3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 06D7EB92-1623-4F19-B8B5-C62588A5F661.jpeg
    06D7EB92-1623-4F19-B8B5-C62588A5F661.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I was fortunate enough to have visited Williamsburg when I was about 12-13 yrs old, and remember the clay pipes there.

I found this one last summer in a central Mo. antique shop!
a real beauty wat did it cost? today the BEST VIRGINIA WEED , means some thing else!

I picked up one of those Williamsburg ones at an estate sale for $5. Great deal. I smoke it from time to time.
I think the advantage of clay is that it doesn't influence the flavor of the tobacco at all, the way wood pipes can.

Latest posts

Back