• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Clay Pigeons with a percussion Charles Moore double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last weekend showed the signs of a possible early spring with temperatures approaching 50 degrees. That being said, the itch to get out and shoot grew tremendously. My son and his wife, who live close by, called and wanted to go shoot some clays. So I grabbed several modern shotguns ( I typically furnish the weaponry) along with one of my original black powder doubles. Word got out we were going shooting and before long there were a couple more of my family, and a friend or two that came along. Long story short, they took all of the modern shotguns and left me with the Charles Moore. The way we play the game, 3 misses puts you on the throwing end. Other than being a bit slower loading, I never ended up having to pull pigeons, as I didn't miss. They were all amazed at how well that 150 year old veteran performed. They made me stand down wind. Some of them even wanted to shoot it. Overall fun weekend.

Last edited:
I think the myth of "that old musket not being any good" from what was taught in grade school (British smoothbores vs. American rifles in the AWI) continues to persist.

What's REALLY fun is showing up on the line with a flint gun and then getting in to a discussion with one of the legions of black gun mag dumpers about accuracy and then challenging them to a shoot off----and winning. The only rounds that count are the ones that hit. The rest are just so much noise.

Last weekend showed the signs of a possible early spring with temperatures approaching 50 degrees. That being said, the itch to get out and shoot grew tremendously. My son and his wife, who live close by, called and wanted to go shoot some clays. So I grabbed several modern shotguns ( I typically furnish the weaponry) along with one of my original black powder doubles. Word got out we were going shooting and before long there were a couple more of my family, and a friend or two that came along. Long story short, they took all of the modern shotguns and left me with the Charles Moore. The way we play the game, 3 misses puts you on the throwing end. Other than being a bit slower loading, I never ended up having to pull pigeons, as I didn't miss. They were all amazed at how well that 150 year old veteran performed. They made me stand down wind. Some of them even wanted to shoot it. Overall fun weekend.
A good round at clays is not only the gun but the man behind it
Feltwad:thumb:

A good round at clays is not only the gun but the man behind it
Feltwad:thumb:
Some days I'm on, and others - not so much. Problem was, I had to have a spotter tell me if it was a hit or not as we were shooting somewhat into the wind. That's probably why I did so well, the pigeon stayed up in the air longer and didn't go so far. Being open bored, close was better.

They made you stand down wind? Ohhh, the black powder smoke! I thought maybe you had too much chili for lunch......

Went out for a shot at rocks and such last weekend.
The other blokes took out suppository guns
The only lady had just bought a 45 front stuffer and it was my task to show here how it was used.
After the usual comments I stated to the menfolk present that they should know that "It is not how long it takes that matters but the satisfaction it gives."
They kinda shut up after that.

My one son-in-law is from the U.K. where guns are highly regulated. When he came for Thanksgiving one year we were shooting trap with a mixture of modern and traditional shotguns. I let him try one with my trade gun. He hit the clay bird with his first shot. He was so impressed for Christmas he bought me a fancy electric trap to replace my old Tarus.

Back