Classifed Rules amended

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Get over it, Hawkeye you used the site in a manner that is not in line with the goals and concepts of the purpose of the site, You know TRADITIONAL MUZZLE LOADING, NOT SOME SATURDAY YARD SALE.
Why are you piling on me?
I didn't post anything for sale, and won't.

Reaction score
Correct. I don't buy anything online unless I can see it and hold it. It amazes me how many people buy stuff sight unseen then complain about it, or worse, don't recieve whatever they bought.
But, a fool and their money are soon parted.
I’ve purchased many many items from from the good people of this forum, as well as another well known forum. I have never had an issue with not receiving my product, quality or representation. I’ve done this over a period of 10 years or so…if I was to limit my buying abilities to stuff I could physically see or hold and inspect before hand, then I’d not have gotten very far in this hobby.

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I’ve purchased many many items .....
…if I was to limit my buying abilities to stuff I could physically see or hold and inspect before hand, then I’d not have gotten very far in this hobby.
Interesting comment considering we are from the same territory according to your profile avatar info seen. I have yet to purchase anything sight unseen. Even the occasional palm leaf hat or machine sewn shirts I have rarely purchased over the years have not been sight unseen and only from known (to me) people and sutlers. Never, have I or will I purchase sharp instruments or arms of any sort online.
Yes, I have quite a few imported besses and such... each purchased here in the Ohio R. valley, not ordered. Occasionally a frizzen needs rehardened... but that goes with proper maintenance and isn't rocket science to deal with.

Has this limited me, or caused me to get very far in this hobby? Hardly. It actually has helped as I can learn as I do purchase and don't make mistakes on time and place or quality on my purchase. ..ie. I don't have a need to pass on my mistakes to another greenhorn.
I've been shooting flintlocks and muzzleloaders since 1982. Dressing funny to further enjoy the sport since 1985/1986. As for reenacting, That has been an ongoing thing since I was a teen and I just turned 59 years.

To each their own and I do allow sales posts on my own campfire: phpBB message board I run as well as 3 facebook private groups. Just for clarification, yes, I have purchased from individuals on those pages, but I also know of them and the product prior to purchase.

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Seems like you were not happy about the change.
I am neither happy or unhappy. I just pointed out it is a ridiculous change and unnecessary...but isn't my board. I have fought hard to prevent such on my own old school message boards (on which I do not require purchasing memberships for full access, nor do I have advertisements attached left and right) When more moderation assistance was needed there, or even the FB groups, members stepped up to fill the void. There is no overworking on the administrator or any one moderator.

As for you, I am disappointed in your attack of me. You say that I have used the site in a manner that is not in line with the goals....as below. I initially thought you were responding to some else, but no other Hawkeye was in this thread.

Get over it, Hawkeye you used the site in a manner that is not in line with the goals and concepts of the purpose of the site, You know TRADITIONAL MUZZLE LOADING, NOT SOME SATURDAY YARD SALE.
So I challenged you to explain yourself and give evidence please.

I have always been straight forward with my posts. I have also been honest with my replies and statements (even in this one) though sometimes may seem brutal without the added emotion of in person discussion and the ability to read body language. I am to much of a Vulcan to talk round corners.

Reaction score
Like I said get over it, could care less of your disposition on this issue. As i stated a traditional site should be traditional items. NO banter with you, seems your just looking for a heted discussion and you will not find it here.

Reaction score
Correct. I don't buy anything online unless I can see it and hold it. It amazes me how many people buy stuff sight unseen then complain about it, or worse, don't recieve whatever they bought.
But, a fool and their money are soon parted.
I guess I'm lucky; I have bought more than 30 guns [ml] on line, from this and other sites. Have never been dissatisfied. I have some very nice muzzle loading guns and accoutrements. Love it all.. Dale

Reaction score
I guess where I’m located, I would have a far drive if I done face to face transactions only. Also from time to time I sell, so I wouldn’t limit myself to my possible buyers. There’s a whole big world out there and I enjoy having options, wether it’s somthing I’m looking for or somthing i’m selling.I recently contracted a lancaster rifle to be made for me, by a fella here in Ohio,I supplied most the parts ( which I purchased from another forum member) my job slowed down and I needed some extra money so I sold that lancaster rifle to a fella in Tennessee… all online transactions. To each his own.. but I’d never limit myself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Like S.Kenton, I too live where there are basically no dealers who carry or cater to our sport. If it wasn’t for mail or internet access there would be limited options to buy or sell items. I think due diligence is appropriate and I’ve been burned a couple of times over many years because of my failure to do it. I guess I consider those few times tuition. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy/sell with most of the regulars here and in some cases a newbie in the right circumstances.

If it hadn’t been for mail order many years ago I would have gotten into this sport.

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
Reaction score
For the record, I’ve experienced one amazingly good transaction here, out of a total of one transactions completed. The seller was generous in every way, his descriptions actually understated the quality of the products, and I was left feeling good about humanity as a result. I did get a curious “serious interest” overture about an original bp rifle I listed for sale. The prospective buyer was brand new, and his only posts had to do with my listing. Needless to say, that went nowhere. No surprise. There are usually red flags that pop up when shaky buyers or sellers show up. I have found that a little bit of skepticism goes a long way in these transactions. Real sellers and buyers understand that and address it.

Reaction score
This seems like a logical change. Hard to believe we are into four pages of quibbling over it. I've had no issues with buying from members here, although my buying has been limited by both my retirement income and my CFO (aka wife). Haven't sold anything yet as there is nothing I'd willingly part with.

Angie and our moderators do an amazing job here, and I wholeheartedly support their decisions.

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky; I have bought more than 30 guns [ml] on line, from this and other sites. Have never been dissatisfied. I have some very nice muzzle loading guns and accoutrements. Love it all.. Dale
I'd say anyone who has a sucessful transaction online with an unknown to them seller is lucky.
I had to learn the hard way.
$22,500 wasted on two transactions failed. No protections as one was a check sent and cashed. The other was Paypal, but paypal refused to honor the reverse of the transaction as it involved a gun and they seem to have something in their agreement that gun sales are exempt from their services. Fool me once. shame on you . Fool me twice, shame on me. (and I am ashamed I tried a second time) I will not be a fool a third time.

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Why post about it then?
Because I want to know why that F#$%tard (appliation hunter) thinks I posted something for sale. he said I " used the site in a manner that is not in line with the goals and concepts of the purpose of the site."
I posted an opinion...... we are allowed to have opinions and that should not result in a personal attack and slander on myself. He has slandered me, and I am seriously offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.