• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Class Project Completed And A Horn Reborn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroncaTAL

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Last May I attended the Oregon Gun Maker's Fair in Philomath. The first day of the fair was a powder horn making class. The class was fantastic and I sure learned a lot. However 8 hours wasn't near enough time for me to complete my horn. Well after that weekend, I put my class project aside and proceeded to build a horn both for my son and daughter.
My son's horn was a Tim Tansel style horn and was my first attempt at scrim shaw.
Son's Horn

My daughter's horn was a F&I style horn with a dragon scrimshaw. The artwork is my daughter's.
Daughter's Horn

I didn't forget about my class project however and finally finished the horn. It is also a F&I style horn. It took me a bit to decide what scrimshaw design to put on. I finally settled on a map of the Northern Willamette River Valley here in Oregon. The map is based on Government Land Office plats dating back to the mid 1850's and shows the Willamette River, towns and trails/road that existed then. On the back side is a stylized compass rose. I did use a little creative license and added the original Jason Lee Misson (about 3 miles north of the actual location) and a fictuous "Fort Forest Hills" which is our BP club. The spout plug is carved from smoke tree wood and the strap I wove on my wife's loom. All in all I'm quite please with the horn.

MyHorn1.jpg

MyHorn2.jpg

Now, the horn that I had been using was one I put together from a Dixie kit. I never really was satisfied with the horn and wanted to do something with it. After I finished my big horn, I decided to completely redo the horn. I based the design on an original carved horn pictured in Sibley's book. I had three nice flats for scrimshaw, and since the Octoberfest was going on locally, I decided on a bundle of wheat, a stag and doe (some more of my daughter's art work) and a village. The horn came out quite well and I am donating it to my club for a monthly raffle prize.

Raffle1.jpg

harvest.jpg

staganddoe.jpg

village.jpg

Oh, here's a pic of the horn before I rebuilt it.

PowderHorn3.jpg

I'm really liking this horn making stuff. It is quite rewarding.

Scott

Scott,
I'll be buying more tickets than my usual monthly norm!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the kind words, my friends. They mean a lot to me. But I tell ya, trying to take a decent picture of the artwork on a round horn with my digital camera is more trying than making the horn! If I aint in the shade then the glare off the horn washes everything out...
Scott

Back