Civil War??

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by Sun City, Sep 5, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 15, 2019 #981

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

The continued practice of slavery was the very reason why the Confederacy was forced to stand alone in its fight against the Union since Britain certainly wasn't going to come to its aid while trying to stamp out the slave trade internationally.
    The British stationed naval fleets off the coast of Africa to intercept slavers while freeing many thousands of captured slaves in the process throughout the 1800's.

".....British colonial power played a major role, enforcing treaties that prohibited slaving.

The British felt that they had a mission to do this - as can be seen from this Foreign Office document of 1861:

Captain Hamerton should take every opportunity of impressing upon these Arabs that the nations of Europe are destined to put an end to the African Slave Trade, and that Great Britain is the main instrument in the Hands of Providence for the accomplishment of this purpose.

That it is in vain for these Arabs to endeavour to resist the consummation of that which is written in the Book of Fate, and that they ought to bow to superior power, to leave off a pursuit which is doomed to annihilation, and a perseverance in which will only involve them in losses and other evils.

British Foreign Office document, 1861" --->>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/history/slavery_1.shtml

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Jul 15, 2019 #982

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

A moral position against slavery kept the Uk, and France our of the war.... sort of. The confederacy believed in ‘King Cotton’. That the mill owners of The UK and France would demand intervention on the southern side. Instead they just turned toEgypt, India and to-a lesser extent Mexico. Anew cotton empire was part of Napoleon III dreams of An American empire.
    The cash starved south could have sent cotton through Texas into Mexico and out for quick cash. English French and Mexican bottoms would be untouchable by the American navy. That might have turned the Europeans to allies of the south. .... maybe.
    Had Lee won at Sharpsbug or Gettysburg things might have gone different, a new Saratoga.
    Historically it was in French interest to support the colonies. They had been fighting the English for hundreds of years. Economically it was in west Europe best interest to have a hands off policy, with or with out the slavery issue. Had things changed just a smidgen all Europe’s morality would have took a back seat to economics.
    We were happy to ally with Stalin, Mao and Ho, Noreaga the grossly evil President of Vietnam whose name escapes me right now, Marco and so on.
    A hundred and sixty years have passed since that letter written concerning African slavery,and yet it still goes on, slaves are now comparatively cheaper then ever in the history of the slave trade.

3. Jul 15, 2019 #983

dpw21562

dpw21562

dpw21562

Pilgrim MLF Supporter

END THIS !

4. Jul 15, 2019 #984

treebeard

treebeard

treebeard

Pilgrim

Actually as far as the CSA government gold and silver was concerned most of it got into the the hands of Southerners and not the Victors. “Curse of Civil War” did me the favor of getting me interested enough to read credible sources As the actual events are fascinating.

ppg1949 likes this.
  5. Jul 15, 2019 #985

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

There just wasn’t that much gold to go around. A little more silver. Like the original thirteen colonies the south was completely unprepared for war.
    They had rhetoric and righteous anger, lots is saber rattling and a population of young men willing to fight. But that was all they had.
    Much is made of the railroads and manufacturing or the lack there of in the south, but most important they had no war chest and no real way of getting it. They were the black side in a chess game and started out down a Queen forced to only respond. No one in the south ever thought” How” .
    Their plan was just to make the war too much on the north and hope the north would get sick of fighting.
    Lincoln felt it his sacred oath to keep the country together. No amount of blood or treasure was going to detour him from his duty.
    Lincoln had an unshakable resolve, that few presidents have had, and no other presidents resolve had been so tested.

6. Jul 15, 2019 #986

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

You should get a little maker when something is new to this thread. If you’ve read all you want to read on this subject in future days when you see it highlighted just don’t click on it, you won’t know if there is one new post or onehundred.
    I have unread post under gunbuilding cannon shooting and hand gunning, as I’m not a big hand gun shooter, or the question asked in building was something I could add to,or in cannonshooting as I don’t shoot a big gun.
    The easiest way to deal with threads your not interested in is to not take the time to read them.
    Thankfully this forum has something for everyone who is interested in traditional ml and the history that goes along with them.

7. Jul 15, 2019 #987

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Back on post 839 I posted the following:

I just removed 4 posts that were basically political and dealt with modern times or were responding to the posts that were political.
    I am taking this to mean we are finished discussing the historical aspects of the war so as I said I would do, I am closing this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.