Civil War??

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by Sun City, Sep 5, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 26, 2019 #301

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

My departed insanely intelligent brother once educated me on the need for wars...."to kill evil men" I still believe him. He also said the only reason for marriage was to have babies?

Shot deer likes this.
  2. May 26, 2019 #302

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

azmountainman,

Yours brother was NOT as cynical as my Uncle Paul was, when he said that, "Marriage is a great institution, if you have always wanted to live in one." AND "Marriages end for one of 2 reasons. Divorce or death. Both are BAD NEWS for someone."

yours, satx

3. May 27, 2019 #303

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Reminds of Jeff Goldblum saying he was always looking for his next ex wife

satx78247 likes this.
  4. May 27, 2019 #304

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

Not sure how to word this. I was going to say "Happy Memorial Day" but really whats happy about it. Same as if you said Good Memorial Day. Not really that good either. What is proper? Oh I've heard this day had a Southern origin. It was called Decoration Day from decorating graves of Southern Soldiers.

satx78247 likes this.
  5. May 27, 2019 #305

charlie44gs

charlie44gs

charlie44gs

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'll "pipe up" with the following documents you can read if you want. Four southern legislatures drafted causes for secession, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas. These ordinances are easily found on line. As you read them notice what issue is mentioned first, then make a list of all issues mentioned and the number of time mentioned. Also read Alexander H. Stephens "cornerstone speech." You can also read Joseph E. Brown's address to the citizens of Georgia explaining his support for secession. Local newspapers from the secession period also offer insight. Find some online from your state.

If this sounds like a homework/classwork assignment that because it is. I had my students do this as we studied the war. My emphasis was always on original documents not secondary sources. There will not be a test.

Juice Jaws likes this.
  6. May 27, 2019 #306

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

I agree with your emphasis on Original Documents, secondary sources and my cousin Joe read on line are not always the best source to quote from.

Va.Manuf.06 likes this.
  7. May 27, 2019 #307

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

charlie44gs,

AH YES, the constant whine of the so-called Secession Ordinances.

Let me tell you the TRUTH about those documents:
    1. NOBODY voted for the authors of those documents; the authors selected themselves & claimed to be representative of the views of Southerners.- NO Southern state voted to accept/reject the documents.
    2. The documents views represented on the opinions of a small percentage of the population, i.e., the RICH aristocrats of "The Planter Class" but virtually nobody else.
    ("The Aristocrats" not only didn't represent the opinions of the middle & working class of Dixie & certainly not the opinions of the poor of the South but "the lower classes" generally despised the "Lifestyles of the Rich & Shameless".)
    3. The documents were read by almost nobody but the "Planters" at the time of Secession. - The average citizen not only didn't read the documents but most citizens didn't even know that the documents existed.
    4. The documents reflected only the opinions of the SMALL MINORITY of Southerners, who were slave-OWNERS.
    (The authors of the documents no more represented the views of the average Southerner than the views/utterances of the San Francisco City Council represents the opinions of the majority of American citizens in 2019.)
    and
    5. The REVISIONIST fringe of society in the 1960s "made a mountain out of a molehill" & insisted that everyone accept these documents as the majority opinions of Southerners.

yours, satx

8. May 27, 2019 #308

hanshi

hanshi

hanshi

Cannon

It is true that history is always written by the victors. My Southern roots run deep and I've seen how history is always being rewritten by these "victors". Letters and other information sent home by Confederate soldiers are normally brushed aside as being worthless while the imaginations of these historians come up with the "truth" of how it was, and they do it out of thin air. Don't ever believe most of what is written by them.

satx78247 likes this.
  9. May 27, 2019 #309

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

hanshi,

100% CORRECT. - Further, in 2019, facts that were "generally accepted as established fact" by academia 2 decades or more ago are now "dismissed as fiction" because the REVISIONISTS & "SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS" just cannot handle the obvious TRUTH or simply just want to DENY & LIE ABOUT fully-documented facts, which make their opinions on the WBTS era LOOK foolish..

yours, satx

10. May 27, 2019 #310

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Juice Jaws,

"- - - - win at any cost" is the MAIN reason that a large number of NAZI & Japanese personnel were tried/convicted/hanged, as their version of "win at any cost" included war crimes, "crimes against Humanity" & "crimes against peace"..
    (Just one of the British hangmen hanged 88 Nazis in 1946, according to the official British Army records. - He was FAR from the only Allied Forces hangman.)

yours, satx

11. May 27, 2019 #311

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

The south had a population of eight million whites. In general we can assume some will be too young or too old for war, and some with medical problems that made them unfit for duty.
    Half are women, and few woman picked up the musket.
    Normally we can figure about one third of a population could form an army. However the same group that picked up the rifle also had to build the ironclads, grow the food, transport supplies, manufacture what supplies are needed. Women could and did sew clothing and tents and slaves could work the fields but in general again about half of the men who could carry a musket were needed behind the lines in civilian occupations. So rough math gives us a total of about two and a half million men who could fight and a real total of about one and a quarter who could reasonably be expected to do it.
    The south would field a bit less then a million men. That’s pretty near 90% mobilization.
    That’s a lot better then the AWI.
    Personally I would hazard that unless the war was pretty popular in the south they would not have been able to mobilize at that level.
    But facts don’t often matter much to revisionist.

12. May 28, 2019 #312

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

You are 100% right satx, its a good thing we won the war because if not the war crimes would of been on us. General Curtis LeMay said " if the U.S had lost the war he would of been tried for war crimes" because General LeMay was the one who came up with the fire bombing of Germany and Japan. And just to let you know, I have a feeling that you might think of me as the far left, could not be more wrong. I am so far to the right that if you went any farther you would fall off the face of the earth. Now enough of going off thread and back to the WBTS.

Shot deer likes this.
  13. May 28, 2019 #313

charlie44gs

charlie44gs

charlie44gs

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I offered six documents from the period. The response I just read offered nothing but opinion. The writer also ignored Stephens' speech and Brown's letter. I never said these documents represented the views of all average southerners. The comparison to a present-day city council is silly.

April91865 likes this.
  14. May 28, 2019 #314

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Yes, it is amazing how the historians know how it happened, every detail out of thin air. Just look at history, it's full of that kind of stuff, they think they can rewrite history with words.

satx78247 likes this.
  15. May 28, 2019 #315

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

I still cant get over how "opposite" this post has been compared to some of the other Civil War forum's posts. There must be alot of Southerners or pro Southerners on this forum. On it we'd had "slavery, lost cause myth, human bondage, traitors, treason, etc." thrown at us so far. I often wonder if they realize just how much they are helping spread propaganda.

satx78247 likes this.
  16. May 28, 2019 #316

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Do you mean on this thread or on the whole MLF?

17. May 28, 2019 #317

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I’ve even seen speakers from places I would normally respect go down the crusade against slavery and ignorant poor southerners talked in to fighting a war against their own interest. We have made slavery such an evil that any defense of the south or even civilization before 1865 is evidence of racism. And racism, sexism or any ism is the statement to void anything one doesn’t want to hear.
    If you mention black slave owners or Arab slave traders then your just Hitler reincarnated.

swathdiver and satx78247 like this.
  18. May 28, 2019 #318

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

I really can't answer for the whole forum having never touched home on all of the threads. I've only been a member for 6 months. So I probably should have said it's been mostly positive responses so far. There are still parts of this forum that I've yet to visit. I can see where you're coming from though. Several of these responses have been from members in non southern states. Like your Ohio for instance. Ever hear of Clement Vallandigham? Its good to see people who can think for themselves. So far that's been the impression I've gotten here.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Shot deer likes this.
  19. May 28, 2019 #319

April91865

April91865

April91865

32 Cal

Yep, particularly the Neo-confederates who pretend they are, while in reality are wannabe historians who deny everything negative about the south, claim everything they don't like is a lie, etc. and then accuse them of having political agendas.

Shot deer likes this.
  20. May 28, 2019 #320

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

My blood runs deep Confederate, but I still want the truth, negative or positive. (I do know alot about the South...my ancestors)

satx78247, azmntman and April91865 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.