Civil War video

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
I follow a few amateur and professional historians on YouTube for bits of history. Generally I use it to find out bits to research further by giving me book topics to find.

These guys are good and are just starting a series on the civil war. I'm sure there will be people who disagree with some or all of it no doubt but it's a good snapshot for people who have no knowledge of this time (I.e. most of society today).

58 Caliber

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting video. Thanks for posting. My wifes 5th cousin 4x removed is Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Zonie

MLF Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Rather well done video.
I was surprised it didn't mention the Wilmot Priviso of 1846 which really stirred the pot when it came to relations between the North and the South.
Prior to, during and after the Mexican/American war the South was looking forward to the US gaining massive amounts of land in Mexico with the Southerners gaining the vast majority of it.

The Wilmot Priviso stipulated that no newly acquired land from Mexico could have slavery in it.
Although it passed the House, it failed to pass in the Senate. Even so, it was proof that many in the North were against any further expansion of the slavery the South depended on to raise large areas of crops.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
Rather well done video.
I was surprised it didn't mention the Wilmot Priviso of 1846 which really stirred the pot when it came to relations between the North and the South.
Prior to, during and after the Mexican/American war the South was looking forward to the US gaining massive amounts of land in Mexico with the Southerners gaining the vast majority of it.

The Wilmot Priviso stipulated that no newly acquired land from Mexico could have slavery in it.
Although it passed the House, it failed to pass in the Senate. Even so, it was proof that many in the North were against any further expansion of the slavery the South depended on to raise large areas of crops.
One thing I've not been sure on, was the restriction on the expansion of slavery due to the moral side of owning slaves or was it aimed at preventing an increase in democrat states?

The Crisco Kid

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If this is true but I really don't know what or who to believe anymore, we here would probably be Democrats. It's a strange world for sure.