• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Civil War Side Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fischereco2

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a project I recently finished for someone else. It's a Civil War Confederate side knife. Blade is 8" of 1084, steel guard and ferrule. Handle is hickory. I normally don't make Civil War era items so this was a first for me, I'm sure it isn't perfect but I hope I captured a little bit of the essence. Thanks to Wick giving me some advice on this one.

2015-10-21%2009.24.02_zpsakgwhmmp.jpg

2015-10-21%2009.21.22_zps7admscfs.jpg

2015-10-21%2009.22.58_zpsuojxiasp.jpg

Thank you! It is a through tang. I peened the end over a square washer in an attempt to copy an original:

Mine
2015-10-212009.25.13_zps67e1mfsc.jpg

Original
DSC_0045_zpseovyhwil.jpg

Very Nice! :thumbsup:
Thank you for not showing us another 12" long 3" wide clip point with a huge heavy D handle with carbon and hammer marks left from the forge because it makes it look "olde timey".
You have a very nice rendition of a working typical blade.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I appreciate it!

And yes, while I am occasionally guilty of liking the "olde timey" forged look myself, I am really trying to make blades based on examples (or elements of examples) I see rather than what I think looks cool. :thumbsup:

necchi said:
Very Nice! :thumbsup:
Thank you for not showing us another 12" long 3" wide clip point with a huge heavy D handle with carbon and hammer marks left from the forge because it makes it look "olde timey".
You have a very nice rendition of a working typical blade.

I fully agree, and

that is a very nice looking knife.

fischereco2 said:
Thank you! It is a through tang. I peened the end over a square washer in an attempt to copy an original:

FWIW, I have seen many such original UnCivil War period knives (daggers, "Confederate" D Guard Bowies, and other knives) with such a square washer - at Civil War shows, the NSSA, etc., etc. So that is a VERY nice detail you added on your knife. Nice Job.

Gus

Thank you! I actually just used Fiebings dark brown leather dye. I intended for the sheath to be much lighter, but when I gave it a bath of hot beeswax to protect it I got that dark color. Luckily the end result ended up looking decent!

Latest posts

Back