• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil War Colt's Patent bullet mold- what caliber ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what caliber this reproduction Colt's Patent bullet might be ?

Fku8Hysh.jpg

djO9W9Th.jpg

7/16 equals .4375, but a micrometer would be better to use. That's what I can see from the ruler measurements.

Cast a bullet and then measure it with a accurate caliper then you will know for sure what you have.

For a different opinion, I see the measurement of the conical being a bit more than 3/8". So, its a vote for a 36 cal mold.

Now, follow @ZUG's advice. Get a caliper. Cast some bullets and measure. Avoid the opinions.

I would agree with casting a ball and a bullet of pure lead and measuring with a micrometer. I think balls for the original Colt 44's would have been in the neighborhood of .454", while balls for the original .36 caliber Colts were .378". I don't know if they made any guns or moulds in sizes in between those.

I think those moulds were very popular, back in the day, and rifles were often built to use those sizes of balls. I think Marshall Ralph Hooker said his "Boone rifle" took the same ball as the Colt Army revolver.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Would be interesting to do penetration tests with that pointy Colt design.
I have done so, firing into a punky box elder log. The .44 caliber bullets were pure lead, cast from a second-generation Colt mould and fired from a third-generation 1860. About the same penetration as roundballs but less accurate.

Back